Oriskany Sep 2010 - split from Morrison's thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
BTW- next time you dive the Oriskany take a look at the 4 small flag banner we placed with the American and POW flags. We placed them as a memorial and tribute to a Navy Pilot who flew his final mission from the Oriskany in Vietnam. He was shot down while bombing fuel depot and until a few years ago it was not known if he was KIA or died as a POW. His remains were returned to US and positive ID was made. He was buried in Arlington in 2008. His Florida Gator Fraternity brother asked us to place the memorial on the wreck. We hope that the Alabama fans do not deface the Florida Gator Flag(also placed is the Navy flag, US Flag, and tribute to the pilot flag). We also place a small memorial in the Admirals Bridge.

Ahhh....What an awesome testimony to bravery. The Oriskany is such an awesome dive. I hope to go back before the end of the year.

The Spree was just at the Oriskany and Capt Frank posted a report. Apparently, the O is already falling apart. Part of the tower has collapsed on the deck. He said it's in bad shape compared to the Speigel.

The Spree was just at the Oriskany and Capt Frank posted a report. Apparently, the O is already falling apart. Part of the tower has collapsed on the deck. He said it's in bad shape compared to the Speigel.

The plates on the sides of the smoke stack have fallen away.

I'm guessing that even if the tower is completely destroyed, the rest of the ship should hold together a bit longer.... though at a depth of 145ft-215ft, there won't be as much dive traffic there.

It sure would be nice if we could get another big ship to drop a wee bit shallower and closer to shore....

Surely not!! It has only been a year since I have been there...That is soo sad!

Surely not!! It has only been a year since I have been there...That is soo sad!

Blink and you'll miss it.

I don't think it takes away from the dive, in fact, lots of folks do a "swim through" where they start at the opening around 115ft and ascend through the stack at about 85ft The bridges are still intact, as are the yardarms and such.

According to Frank, parts of the deck were falling through, too, and he didn't think it's a safe wreck to penetrate.

Granted, Frank's bread and butter come from the Spiegal and Vandenburg, since thats where the Spree usually is these days right?

According to Frank, parts of the deck were falling through, too, and he didn't think it's a safe wreck to penetrate.

We expect to have some details about all this in about 2 weeks.....right Rob? :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom