Agency Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm seriously considering getting my instructor training. I'm PADI OW right now. Does this mean that if I chose a shop that taught SSI or NAUI that I would have to start over again? Can you mix up your training at all (take one PADI, the next NAUI, the next SSI) or do you have to stick with one agency the whole way through? Also, if you're PADI certified to instruct, does that mean employers who teach NAUI will not (or cannot) hire you as a teacher?

Thanks!
Aujax

aujax once bubbled...
Hello All,

I'm seriously considering getting my instructor training. I'm PADI OW right now. Does this mean that if I chose a shop that taught SSI or NAUI that I would have to start over again? Can you mix up your training at all (take one PADI, the next NAUI, the next SSI) or do you have to stick with one agency the whole way through? Also, if you're PADI certified to instruct, does that mean employers who teach NAUI will not (or cannot) hire you as a teacher?

Thanks!
Aujax

1) As long as you are certified by a recognized agency that meets NAUI or SSI's standards for OW (or other cert) then you can become an instructor.

2) You can mix up your training HOWEVER I don't recomend it. If you are going to work with one agency or one shop work with that one agency and shop.

3) If you are a PADI Instructor and wish to teach for a NAUI shop then you must do a NAUI crossover and vice-versa.

You say you are openwater? How long have been certified, how many dives do you have, what type of conditions have you been diving in etc.

For your instructor do you plan on doing an apprenticeship with a shop or doing the "Instructor In Six Weeks Garunteed" plan offered by some dive resorts and schools?

Hi,

Thanks for the advice...
I've been certified for 12 years, but really have only about five dives. Those have all been in quarries or off the coast of NY, except for one dive in Monterey Bay (last month in low vis.). I think the best option for me is to take courses from a dive shop (I have family in Clearwater, FL and will probably use Mac's Sports). That seems to be the cheaper route. From what I've read, I think SSI looks like the best for instructor training - they seem to be the only agency that includes a lot of business training in their curriculum.

-Aubrey

5 dives in 12 years...that's truly not alot for someone considering becoming an instructor:( . I'm really not trying to burst your bubble here....but before you start thinking about becoming an instructor, it may be a good idea for you to gauge your commitment to the sport. Try not to worry too much about which training agency to follow and focus on diving...diving alot! Have fun with it first, then maybe look at the career path. In regards to your question about training agencies for instructor development, PADI provides career devolpement programs which includes the business side of things. All agency have their + and - sides. If after diving a whole lot more you still decide that you want to go pro, take your time finding an instructor trainer and an agency that suits your interest. Best of luck and safe diving :)

I agree with divemed. Before you invest too much time and money, dive some more. Make sure you truely love it. When you know for sure, by all means go for it. Research the agencies and pick one. You can always take a crossover exam if it's not what you expected.

Thanks for the advice guys. :) I think that is an excellent idea. I really should do more diving before making this decision. Not only is it a big career decision, but it would mean breaking up with my girlfriend and moving away from new york city. so for now I may sublet my apartment here and move to florida for a few months to check out some decent diving and get my AOW. that would keep my bridges intact and give me an idea whether or not i'd want to pursue it. and I really do need to try some good diving. the northeast sucks and monterey was 10ft vis. at the most.

-aujax

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom