DIY BC Flush Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
this is my first foray into the DIY section of scubaboard, so i thought i'd try something easy: making my own BC flushing hose. something i can screw onto a garden hose to fill my bc with freshwater after every dive. i already have

(1) a spare 26" quick disconnect LP hose
(2) a garden hose 3/8" adapter

what i need is advice on attaching the two together to withstand 60 psi water preassure. i want to turn the garden hose on, and wait as water shoots out of my over preassure valves. what kind of crimping would be required? in fact, how are the connectors on LP hoses crimped? has anyone tried this before? thanks.

i cut the end of the lp hose and cut the edge of the bare hose at an angle, cutting the angle made it easier to fit into the adaptor. then i sent maybe 5 mins pushing the hose thru the adaptor. afterwards i just wrapped elec tape around the house where it went into the adaptor to make it look nice. when i got the adaptor i had 2 in my garage, both female adaptors, one was big and the hose went loosely in it, one was snug and that was the one i used. works great...

Hows about you unscrew the opv valve and put the end of the garden hose inside there? More simple?
Eric

Hows about you unscrew the opv valve and put the end of the garden hose inside there? More simple?
Eric

For what it's worth, I do this as well (if fact i did it twice just yesterday). I do see value in flushing the inflator itself, but I hold the deflate button and spray into it. Your method would definitely provide a much more thorough flushing however.

I have made a couple (standard and SP Air2) using failed LPI hoses. Unless you use some good hose clamps, 60 psi of water pressure will tend to leak and blow apart unless you are careful or try some modifications. My favorite is a cut off std LPI connection with about 2 inches of hose with a plastic barbed fitting (metal would be better) into the hose end and then whatever it take to get to your garden hose fitting. I usually have no problem if I just turn the garden hose on a bit and keep the inflate button depressed. I have not had it pop off enough to even add a clamp to the barbed connection which I'm sure I will eventually do. Other things would be to add pressure limiters to the device or to control the failure point by removing the balls from the LPI connector (similar to the DSS design).

To tell you the truth, I don't use them that often. I find I can do a perfectly adequate job running water from any hose or tub of water into the inflator and BC bladder just by holding the manual inflate button and the draining it out through the various exit points including the power inflate channel. I don't have to carry and find my cleaning attachment and a couple cycles seems to do the job just fine.

I have cleaned some leaking inflators that clearly showed what happens if you don't rinse those devices before storing. They tend to cause a problem when corrosion and salt deposits build up inside the pressure channel of the device. It eventually starts to leak, either externally or into the BC (why do I have to keep deflating this BCD). Or, the inflator button may start to stick, open or closed. Good rinsing after SW dives and occasional disassembly, cleaning, and lube prevents most problems.

This is mine with a simple SS automotive type hose clamp.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 727
Good on you that's great Fishhy

Back
Top Bottom