DIY Sidemount wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
REALLY thinking of making the switch!

Not looking into going into any caves or even through any tight restrictions in wrecks. I dive only 80s these days, and plan on also doing single tank side mount.

I just love the idea of not have those heavy tanks on my back, ease of donning/doffing tanks in the water when diving from a dinghy. Not hauling doubles around to get fills. Ease of reaching valves. I'm also a huge fan of the streamlining aspect. As someone said in another post, "My rig feels like I'm free diving, just on a really big breath hold." Even before this blew up in popularity I was talking with a buddy about ways to reduce gear, streamline, simplify, etc. So, naturally I'm not too impressed with the rigs I've seen.

So, all you DIYers, how exactly do you secure the wing so it doesn't taco? I've heard bungee mentioned a few times, but where and how? Also saw a few posts mention adding extra grommets.

Or is this just a dumb question...and it will be pretty evident how/where to secure it once I look at my wing on my harness?

Sew/glue tabs on the shell and run your webbing through it to keep it secured on the bottom. Bungee the top.

REALLY thinking of making the switch!

Not looking into going into any caves or even through any tight restrictions in wrecks. I dive only 80s these days, and plan on also doing single tank side mount.

I just love the idea of not have those heavy tanks on my back, ease of donning/doffing tanks in the water when diving from a dinghy. Not hauling doubles around to get fills. Ease of reaching valves. I'm also a huge fan of the streamlining aspect. As someone said in another post, "My rig feels like I'm free diving, just on a really big breath hold." Even before this blew up in popularity I was talking with a buddy about ways to reduce gear, streamline, simplify, etc. So, naturally I'm not too impressed with the rigs I've seen.

So, all you DIYers, how exactly do you secure the wing so it doesn't taco? I've heard bungee mentioned a few times, but where and how? Also saw a few posts mention adding extra grommets.

Or is this just a dumb question...and it will be pretty evident how/where to secure it once I look at my wing on my harness?

You said you dive AL80s... right?

If diving a single 80, you should not need a wing.

If diving 2 AL80s, you may need a wing depending on your depth and thermal protection. If so, size an MSR hydratrion bag to the amount of lift needed. If you want to streamline, then take the time to do it right. The smaller MSR bags (which would be all that is needed for 2 AL80s should not taco that much and can be attached with a couple of clips (one on either end of the hydration bag).

My guess is that with only two AL80s, you really shouldn't need more then a 4L MSR bag.

I was already thinking of going wingless when diving dry, considering how positive I am with the AL tanks, and the minimal lift I'll need.

With my 3mm, I'm close enough to neutral with 1 tank, that I could see diving without a wing, even back mount with the plate. I guess, once I lose all the extra hardware, manifold, etc. that second tank won't make me much more negative.

So how do you rig an MSR? Do you just orally inflate? What about dumping?
I've seen this mentioned in a few posts, but yet to see photos or a description.

On the other hand, isn't it nice to have that extra lift from even just a small wing on the surface, especially in snotty seas? Remember, I am talking open water, not caves. I was originally thinking an 18# tops, or maybe the DSS 12#.

Err...never mind. I see the MSR has a few grommets for mounting.
I guess it's just a standard liquid hose you use?
Orally inflate, open the valve and squeeze the bag to deflate, right?

For MSR usage photos and videos, go to Steve Bogaert's site: gosidemount.com

Here's a picture of a 6L MSR in use.
100923_whiteriver.jpg

Yes, the MSR uses the standard liquid tube. Orally inflate. Deflate by raising the tube and pinching the mouthpiece. If you need, you squeeze the bag, but water pressure is usually enough.

Not as convenient as a power inflate, but the side benefit is you really get to know your buoyancy requirements very very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom