VISA to dive Ras Mohammed sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We are frequent visitors to Sharm el Sheikh to dive. I have had lots of opinions and no definitive answer to the following question.
1) Are we required to purchase the $15 each VISA to BOAT dive on the Ras Mohammed dive sites (Shark Yolanda etc).
I know it is required to travel there by road and it is not required to dive the Tiran sites.
Thank you:confused:

1) Are we required to purchase the $15 each VISA to BOAT dive on the Ras Mohammed dive sites (Shark Yolanda etc).

Definitive answer: YES

Chances of getting checked in travco are slim but you are required to have one.

Yes, you do need it. I found out the (almost) hard way. We had driven down to Sharm after crossing into Egypt at Taba. We didn't ask this question before going. I had not idea there was more than one entry visa.

Well, midnight rolls around and we are just about asleep in our comfy live-aboard bunks ready for a 5-6am departure. The divemaster bangs on our door to wake us up and says we need to go to the airport to fix our visa problem. (having the one that limits us to the Sinai peninsula)

Long story short, we spent 3 hours in the airport listening our guide form the boat's office try to get the security guards to let us into immigration to buy the correct visa. The response I most remember was, "They got the wrong one in Taba. Let them go back to Taba for the right one."

We were ready to pack up our things and find the next flight back to the US. But, in the end, we woke up our DM and asked him what the chances of getting checked were and he said he had never seen any boat stopped to have their papers checked. So, we just went on and had a fantastic trip. The main downside was that every time we were on the deck of the boat and saw a boat that even slightly resembled something that might possibly be an official or military boat, by wife got freaked out that we were going to be "found out"

So again, yes pay the extra $15. :)

Generally its 100LE at the airport to bribe your way airside to get the visa.

Ive had customers before now sent home from the marina without getting as far as the boat. Its rare but does happen (and if going from the international port pretty much guaranteed...Although they can be bribed).

Having been through Travco many times, We have never been asked to show a passport. Having asked around no one seems to take passports on the boat anyway. (including ourselves).
We were told that as the boat does not actually land the VISA is not required ???.
Can I expect a border control diver appear from behind one of the toilets at Yolanda with a water proof passport stamp.

The visa is required. Whether the boat goes ashore is irrelevant. Most people dont show passports but the permissions should have a copy of the passport visa although some people don't do this.

As i said, its rare in main travco to be checked but it does happen sometimes - for $15 is it worth getting turned away from the trip?
They wont turn up at Ras Mohammed, security at the marina will stop you getting as far as the boat if they check.
You should also have your passport with you in case they decide to check.

Whoever told you that a visa isn't required as the boat doesn't land is just plain wrong.

Yes - even if the boat goes from Naama jetty the police are checking passports sometimes and no visa means problems. As String says, is it worth not spending $15.

Can I expect a border control diver appear from behind one of the toilets at Yolanda with a water proof passport stamp.

Yes, sometimes you can expect it. Last time I was on a Safari, the boat was stopped by Egyptian coast guard ship and we were boarded by some officers. The captain asked to produce lots of papers (I guess it's licenses, insurance etc.), and all our passports were inspected.

Then there was some unidirectional exchange of cigarette packets (guess in which direction :D ) and off they went.

We were also inspected by coast guard on the way to St Johns a few years ago.

So yes, I guess it is a matter of luck, once in so many times but I don't think it is going to be pleasant to get caught on such routine check without the proper papers / Visa...

On land, it's 100% guaranteed that one is going to be checked for the Egyptian visa on several checkpoints along major roads that cross the imaginary line Sharm-St. Catherine. Thus, the Egyptian Visa is required not only to RasMo but also to any other place south of Sharm and/or west of St. Catherine.

So, if the boat passes the imaginary line south of Sharm- Visa. East to Tiran- no problem :)

The other Visa I think can be called "Sinai Coast Visa" and is valid only on eastern shore Taba-Sharm + St. Catherine.

The other Visa I think can be called "Sinai Coast Visa" and is valid only on eastern shore Taba-Sharm + St. Catherine.

That's right. It even says so on the stamp.
Klein_visum_Sharm.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom