NAUI Master vs DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

correcly presented the NAUI master course is going to go into all the academics of the basic class in more detail - IMHO it is one of the best classes out there for academic content

The dives will concentrate on more advanced skills - navigation, planning deep dives, mapping etc etc - you will get to elect some dives too.

Dive Master will start you on the leadership track so it will start you working with students / new divers assisting instructors.

They are quite different in aim and content

You need master diver or equivalent to embark on the DM class

nativenarcosis,

As sealkie said, Masterdiver is very worthwhile for academics. The certification is meaningless. It indicates that the recipient is an accomplished recreational diver.
DM is the initial step on the professional track. The material is designed to prepare you to perform the duties of a DM.
Which path you select depends upon what your goals are.
Dive Safe,
Larry

Thanks for your replies. I have finished the academic portion of my master course. I would like to continue with my education since I would like to help out with classes and so on and so forth. I was just curious if the academics were comparable or more in depth. I really have enjoyed the master class and would recommend it to everyone.

Master diver is not anything like DM. It is the highest level you can get as a non leadership level OW diver. If going for dive leadership levels doesn't interest you then that is the way to go.
Otherwise save your money and put it into a DM course. The Naui DM is rated higher than the Padi DM as Naui rates their DM higher than the AI and Snorkel Instructor, whereas Padi rates it lower than both. Both are good courses, but the jump to Naui is higher, but it equals out at the Instructor level. Also there are more opportunities for work in Padi, due to the numbers. It's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. So decide what level of diving you want and head in that direction.
Cheers Big Ears
Gasman

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

You have to pass the NAUI MASTERDIVER written exam as the academic portion of NAUI DIVEMASTER training. A PADI master diver cert is 25 bucks, and a couple dives. You'll learn a lot and save a lot of money if you don't desire to go pro by taking the NAUI MasterDiver. Dive masters in almost any org. rarely make more than air and perks. Instructors are the ones raking in the bucks....:rolleyes: keep your day job :wink:

tony

Actually, I CHOSE to be a master diver. It is as far as I choose to go with the rec side of diving, as I dont feel that the extra insurance and costs are worth becoming a DM.

I dont like babysitting divers, I dont want to waste my bottom time riding herd on newbie divers, esp ones I dont know.

Well, since I have been through both classes, I might be qualified to answer this question, but that still remains to be seen...

Anyway, NAUI's master diver program is very complete as far as rec diving is concerned. We did some advanced Navigation (more than just out here, turn there, now go back), search and recovery, we did an environmental clean up dive, we did a few night dives, we did some deep dives, we did a lot of situation handling exercises in the pool (lots closer & cheaper than the quarry).

The book for the class even gets into different regulator designs, pros and cons of reel designs, reasons for taking safety equipment, what shoulkd be in a first aid kit & save a dive kit.

Tons of info related to just diving in the Master diver course.

The DiveMaster course focuses mainly on rules, regulations, and standards set forth by NAUI. You have to work with classes, you have to do a lot of research (well we did anyway), and you don't do a whole lot of diving. Being a DM is more about setting up and preparing dives for groups of individuals. You have to give dive briefings, you have to give dive reports. You have to be able to follow the steps and report events to emergency responders in the event of an emergency. You have to know who to call, you are in charge.

So conclusion question- Do you want to dive, or do you want to work? Frankly I think the Master diver class is a great step to getting to DM, but I don't think it is a NAUI requirement. It sure makes your job easier knowing what kind of dive your going to be planning for, and it gves you more experience in caculating what someone elses diving ability is and how to plan a dive around that by going through the master diver class and doing loads of dives with others.

....and NAUIs web site:
NAUI DIVE MASTER
PREREQUISITES FOR ENTERING THE COURSE
General.
Meet the requirements applying to all Leadership courses. (See “Policies Applying to Leadership Courses.”)
Materials. (See current guide to NAUI membership.)
Diver Certification.
The preferred minimum certification level is NAUI Assistant Instructor. Individuals not possessing the preferred certification may be accepted for training only if they meet the following criteria:
Certification:
Certification as NAUI Master Scuba Diver and NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver or their equivalent. Divers with evidence of equivalent training and experience may be enrolled provided they pass the NAUI Master Scuba Diver written examination with a minimum score of 75%.

so if you're a crossover....you'll be required to pass the MasterDiver exam..... seys a bit, don't it?

tony

That's cool, b/c I rteally think the master diver class is a great class, and should be a requirement for the DM program.

The test is not hard BTW, and 75% is a fairly marginal score IMHO

Back
Top Bottom