Another UW hunt ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Being a long time fisherman I am aware that many salt water fishes have minimum length limits. These limits are applicable to hunters and hook and line alike.

How do you guys judge the length on fish? If its close do you just let it swim? I went down with a hunter to act as an ID man and since I knew the regs everything I pointed at wasn't even close to minimum, it was well over the limit. I know with bugs you can put it against the check it stick and it if doesn't measure then you let it go. Its kinda hard to let a fish go thats been shot.

Thanks

Tom

Hey Tom

Can't say I've never been in your exact situation, but know how you feel. When I take poeple fishing I have to pretty much run the show, there is alot of catch and release line fishing, though there are a few statistics.(let's me sleep during the day)

My advice that I could give you while spear fishing is to let the person or persons know that your a guide and only want them to have the best fish it may not be the only fish.

hope this helps

Many people, myself included, mark the key lengths on the barrel of the gun, for RI, 10 inches for scup, 16 inches for tog, 19 inches for pollack, 28 inches for striped bass. Then you try to get used to how these lengths look underwater and make sure the fish you shoot are longer than the minimum sizes. The experienced spearos develop an eye for the correct lengths and probably don't bother with this crutch.

Ralph

I was guiding namely 'cause we both needed a buddy and I knew salt water game fish. At one point when we were down a huge school of amber jack swam by and he got huge eyes. He looked at me asking which one and all I could do was shake my head as every single one was short or really close to it. Ron, that was the answer I was looking for. I hadn't thought of marking lengths on the spear gun exactly like I have one two of my salt water fishing rods and I figured as experience comes so does the ability to judge lengths. I guess I would still try for a minimum of 2" over length as a fudge factor.

Tom

Ya know I have a tape on one of my rods and thank you for
the rememberance.

It's like when your out at the lake and no lures are working
then some little kid comes by with a large stringer caught on live worms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom