To U-Boat buffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemonade

Reaction score
Last Sunday I did two dives on U-853.

During second dive my attention was grabbed by two openings that looked like jet engine intakes.

If I remember correctly, they were located just behind conning tower facing to the stern; diameter was comparable to that of torpedo loading hatches.

At fist I thought those were torpedo tubes, but after the dive I realized that’s unlikely, since they were definitely above the deck, and decided to do some internet research to find out that those were.

None of the pictures or drawings of IXC type boats that I was able to find display those “jet engines.”

Here is a picture taken by my buddy.
The edge of the deck is in foreground; two “jet engines” are in the back with what I remember as the conning tower between them.

Anyone knows what those are?

Just a guess but they appear to be tubes for carrying mines externally.

Not sure, but I believe they're probably vents.

U-260 Article by Jerry Smith
"Immediately behind the conning tower you come across the air vents for the accommodation and engine room and the folded Walter snorkel. "

Hank Keats has a book that will explain all this but I am at work and my copy is home.

Is the boat a VII C or is it a IX type boat? The VII didn't have snorkles.

According to uboat.net, U-853 is a IXC40 type.

Those were not just pipes coming out from under the deck, but were shaped openings in the larger structure (conning tower??) in front of them.

Too bad, I can't remember all the details from the dive. I guess, nitrogen narcosis at work... :D

I've got Palmer's video on the U-853. Its been awhile since I watched it, but I believe that they are air intakes/exhausts for the diesels.

The 853 remains my favorite wreck in the Northeast.

Based on lemonade's much clearer pic, I'd agree they are most likely part of the main induction or exhaust for the diesels.

Great link Elvis!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom