Maldives land based diving in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myvek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi! We're thinking of going to the Maldives this December and do some land based diving. Which Atoll do you think we should stay at so that we have access to great diving and snorkeling? Can you also suggest some mid-budget accommodation and dive shops? (or does each resort have its own dive shop?)
Many thanks in advance!
Myvek

Ari atoll is your best option imo.Big chances to see mantas.I was at conrad two years ago during july and everybody said that November-April is the best season to dive the area.Even beter is Feb-April.There are some mid budget hotels(sun island-holiday island) and each resort have its own dive school.I had great dives even without mantas or whalesharks.
The other option could be south Male atoll.

I stayed at Kuredu earlier this year for a week, followed by a week on a Peter Hughes liveaboard. My strong suspicion is that you simply cannot go wrong. I've no real idea what atol Kuredu was on (you could check - they have their own webiste) but the place was stunning and the diving even more so. Literally at the sea in front of our beach cabin - would be juvenile reef sharks swimming up and down all day. They were so cute I can't do them justice. About a foot long! Just walking to the beech and snorkelling I saw; eagle rays, full size reef sharks (black tip), octopus turtle, huge stingrays, etc etc. Oh and large school of snapper - again just by swimming out by my beech hut.

The pics of the snapper are snorkelling pics - the others were diving.

Not sure if I've been too much help but the main thing is;

1/. you are going at a good time
2/. I honestly don't think there is a bad diving holiday in the Maldives!

Attachments

• Maldive 2010 5.jpg
    Maldive 2010 5.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Maldive 2010 4.jpg
    Maldive 2010 4.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Maldive 2010 2.jpg
    Maldive 2010 2.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Maldive 2010 1.jpg
    Maldive 2010 1.jpg