Best way to dry dust cap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Acoust

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone I have been perplexed to this qn of drying the dust cap after a dive.

Its been standard practice that we use the remaining air in the tank to "blow dry" the dust cap before screwing it back on the reg but I have been told its actually dangerous because it atomizes the water and if it gets into our bloodstream is could be fatal and the best way is to just wipe it dry.

Can anybody enlighten me on this?

Victor

Atomizes the water gets into your blood stream and kills you? :confused: That's a new one.
You probably have a better chance getting struck by lightning while winning the lottery in a field of 4 leaf clovers.
Your pretty safe blow drying your dust caps with the air in your tank.

Wow. Any experts out there know the statistics on dust cap related fatalities? :wink:

On commercial/construction courses, the handling of compressed air often mentions avoiding putting your body/skin in the way of high pressure air flow.

The water wouldn't do anything, but high pressure air theoretically could penetrate the skin and cause embolism.

I'd suggest that you would have to put your hand directly and tightly over the valve in order to be at the slightest risk of this. The main risk would be to soft tissue, such as the eyes...so these must be kept away from the valve. The process of cleaning a dust cap using vented air from the cylinder must be virtually risk free in this context.

I use a tshirt or towel. The air method works but is damn annoying! One thing I hate is being next to some nimrod that thinks 3-5 minutes of air with the valve half to full open is required! Just blow off the excess with a very small burst or better yet shake it and dry with a cloth. Save an ear or two.

I'd never heard that before. I was warned against the practice on the grounds that miniscule droplets of salt water can get blasted from your dust cap into your first stage, leading to corrosive damage. Keep a towel or dry piece of clothing handy to dry off the dust cap - it goes a long way toward keeping your regulator in top shape between scheduled overhauls.

I think its horribly obnoxious when people blast their dust caps and impair everyone else's hearing. This is what I teach my students: If there is a little bit of water, I either wipe it off with my t-shirt/towel or blow on it. It is possible to suffer an injury by holding the tank valve directly against your hand and having it 'roll on' but these types of injuries are rare and have not caused any deaths in the scuba industry (that I am aware of). To avoid the injury, carry the tank properly.

I just wipe mine off..

I have had compressed air enter the tissue of my finger when I was an apprentice. I was using an air pop rivet gun and unknowingly covered the exaust with my finger. I kept pulling the trigger and felt pain in my finger. I let my finger off the exaust and knoticed an air bubble under my skin... Being told that compressed air can be dangerous and if it enters your blood can be dangerous I was so scared that I grabbed a knife and stabbed the bubble.. The air came out and I lived. :)

Re: dust cap, don't let it get wet in the first place and you won't need to dry it

Not sure about your reg, but mine is attached to the first stage. Would be pretty tricky to keep mine dry while diving :)

I always blow mine of but I barely crack the valve, it's more like drying with a strong wind than a blast of compressed air :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom