Invest 98 - now named Paula - pops up in western Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
at201098_model.gif

at201098_model_zoom.gif

tracks are all over the place.

looks like honduras/nicaragua might be affected on monday, or if it heads in the coz direction something wednesday-ish, or crazy curveballs to cuba....

there's also no GFS or GFDL tracks... i don't recognize some of those models, i wonder if weather underground changed something....

Looks like the computer guesses are looking more toward the Yucatan-Cuba area but the Bay of Honduras has not been ruled out...
Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog:
Western Caribbean disturbance 98L a threat to develop; Otto weakening

Posted: 9:48 AM EDT on October 09, 2010

An area of disturbed weather is in the Western Caribbean, a few hundred miles east of the coast of Nicaragua. The disturbance has a modest and slowly increasing amount of intense thunderstorms, and is showing some spin. The disturbance is drifting northwest, and has a 20% chance of developing into a tropical depression by Monday morning. Several of the computer models call for this disturbance to intensify into Hurricane Paula and hit Cuba by Wednesday, but these forecasts are probably too aggressive.

Looks like the computer guesses are looking more toward the Yucatan-Cuba area but the Bay of Honduras has not been ruled out...

yeah the GFS and GFDL models popped up last night, and are both taking it towards Cuba. i expect the other models to settle down around that prediction soon...

One of the computer guesses headed due south last night, but looks like they all go for the Cape, then Belize now. Pretty warm water thereabouts.....

at_sst.gif

Some of the computer guesses were looking south again last night, but today she bypassed the upgrade to TD and went to Tropical Storm Paula with aspirations of making hurricane tomorrow and landing on Mexico Wednesday. Some computers give other possibilities...
from Dr Masters...
Proximity to land is hampering Paula's ability to intensify some, and the storm's northwest movement of 10 mph will take the center far enough away from the coast of Honduras this evening to substantially increase the storm's ability to intensify. The latest SHIPS model forecast calls for wind shear to stay mostly in the moderate range, 10 - 15 knots, through Tuesday afternoon, then increase to the high range, 20 - 25 knots, for the remainder of the week. The computer models predict Paula will continue on a northwest motion then turn more north-northwest on Wednesday, which would take the storm close to landfall on the coast of Belize or Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. At that time, Paula may be approaching Category 2 hurricane status, due to the moderate wind shear, SSTs of 29°C, and a sufficiently moist atmosphere. On Wednesday, there is considerable doubt about the future path of Paula. Steering currents in the Western Caribbean will collapse, potentially allowing Paula to wander in the region for many days, as predicted by the GFS and HWRF models. It is also possible that Paula will push far enough inland over Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula that the storm will dissipate, as predicted by the NOGAPS model. Finally, if Paula grows strong quickly, and pushes far enough north, it could get caught up a strong trough of low pressure predicted to traverse the U.S. this week (and spawn a Nor'easter for New England this weekend.) In this scenario, offered by the GFDL model, Paula would make a sharp turn to the east-northeast, hit western Cuba, bring tropical storm-force finds to the Florida Keys on Thursday, then move into the Bahama Islands by Friday or Saturday. It is too early to say which of these scenarios is the most likely, as the storm is just forming and the models do not have a good handle on it yet. Regardless, northern Honduras, Belize, and Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula will receive dangerous flooding rains from Paula today through Wednesday.
The Invest 98 computer chart still works even after the naming. Here's the zone of hate path...

at201018.gif

Thanks Don. I am supposed to be in Roatan Saturday, so I hope Paula gets off her broomstick and follows a north track.

Thanks Don. I am supposed to be in Roatan Saturday, so I hope Paula gets off her broomstick and follows a north track.
Yeah, weekends are transition days on Roatan, and oddly some of the computers send her back down after a u-turn, but way too early to worry. Maybe she will breakup inland.

She spared a direct hit on Coz and Cancun, passed as a Cat-2, but has no definite direction. Looks like she'll wander around Cuba, then - head off somewhere...???

Last edited:
Glad Paula has pretty much been a non event so far. The tracking concerns me a little. Guess time will tell where she goes next.

Back
Top Bottom