Hose routing with DS4's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loquat149

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm putting together a sidemount rig and would like to see how others are routing their hoses with Apeks DS4 1st stages. I'm planning:

Right cylinder: Long-hose (7') + BC inflator (?") + SPG (9")
Left cylinder: Short-hose w/ necklace (?") + DS inflator (?") + SPG (9")

I have cylinders with RH and LH valves, Armadillo-style bungee loops, and a BC inflator on the inside bottom right of the wing.

Also do you:
Point valves up or down?
Place cylinder with RH valve on the right or left, etc.?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave, The DS4s are great regs to use, though not my first choice. I use these regs on my stages in side mount and rig them exactly like my side mounts:
Guages: I run my guages UP, tilted back slighty so they sit against my shoulders on 6 inch hoses.

Cylinder valves: I use mirrored valves with handles up and first stages pointed in toward my body (less regulator sticking out).

Hoses: Long hose on the left cylinder, bungeed down the side then under my armpit and over my neck to the right side (fixes the problem of getting a right hand regulator from the left side of your body). This second stage is on a MANTA necklace for easy deployment and also has a Diverite 70 degree adapter to keep the house close to my face and neck on the right hand side. I also run my BCD inflator hose from this reg, but mine is more streamlined coming out of the bottom of a MK25 Scubapro first stage.

Righ tank is a standard 28 inch hose that routes out of the bottom of the first stage (MK 25 Scubabpro are my preferred reg). From there the hose stays between my side and right cylinder and the second stage is secured to a rebreather style D ring high on my right shoulder. The second stage also has a 70 degree adapter. Hope this helps. You should do just fine with the DS4's. If you are set on 9 inch HP hoses running down the cylinder, then I would try to run all the hoses downwards.

Good luck and safe diving,

Brian

I use DS4s on my sidemount rig although I'm looking at getting at least one reg with a turret.

If you point the valves down then the spgs will point slightly upwards. Thats good because
a) They are easier to see.
b) Stops you ploughing two grooves in the silt when it gets tight.

I use 6" hoses and large (2" ??) spgs. They are pretty easy to see. if needed you can grab the spg and pull it forwards a few inches to read it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom