Reserve Light Goes Boom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AK47Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After diving Sunday I had realized that my Halcyon Scout 3C had been getting noticeably dimmer, and today after getting my tanks filed, I went to check the light. It would not come on so I figured it had been inadvertently turned on in transit and it was time to change the batteries (fresh ones were installed in April).

So I unclip the light and take it in to change it. I notice the rubber cover is kinda loose and I have to hold it on and turn the light head pretty hard to get it to open. I'm turning it to open it and .....Boom!

Not quite an earth shattering kaboom, but a boom all the same.

The light head cover shoots forward whacking my palm with quite a smack and the light bulb/mirror unit holder go flying from the light and a battery shoots out.

The boom was loud enough everyone in the house heard it and comes to see what happened. After assuring everyone that everything is ok and we didn't just have a major explosion, I examine the flashlight, now in four separate sections.

On examining the unit, the light bulb and holder show some grey and white build up on the side and the threads of the flashlight body all appear damp, and there is a corroded bit under the label on the top of the top battery.

Any ideas on what happened? I'm thinking the battery may have leaked and some gas built up resulting in the boom on opening, but I'm not sure.

The light bulb unit itself is now quite dead and while not visibly broken will not work with new batteries. On the upside, this moves my LED conversion forward.

So be careful when opening your lights to change the batteries, there may be quite a bit of pressure waiting for you when you go to unscrew it.

Hi,
Had somewhat the same problem with one of my 3c LED scouts.
The light got wet inside and caused the batteries to leak and build up gas inside the unit.
The light was toast , wouldn't strike.
I picked up some of the new LED cree5 bulbs 2 weeks ago from this guy .
ScubaBoard - View Profile: jjblomquist
The new bulbs are much brighter than the original Halcyon bulbs at a fraction of the cost.

Jim Breslin

The new bulbs are much brighter than the original Halcyon bulbs at a fraction of the cost.

The new Halcyon LEDs are also way brighter than the old ones. Tested some a few weeks back and the old Halcyon LEDs were 1200 lumens, my Photon Torpedoes were 2500 lumens (appx 3-4 years old???), while the new Halcyon LEDs were 7500 lumens. The new LEDs also have a very nice spot on them, and nice color.

The new Halcyon LEDs are also way brighter than the old ones. Tested some a few weeks back and the old Halcyon LEDs were 1200 lumens, my Photon Torpedoes were 2500 lumens (appx 3-4 years old???), while the new Halcyon LEDs were 7500 lumens. The new LEDs also have a very nice spot on them, and nice color.
What LED module is Halcyon using?

Lamont,

I am curious with your findings on the Halcyon LED'S. I purchased my scout over one year ago, is there a way to see which lumens I might have?

Would like to have the new LUMENS if I can pay a small upgrade fee.

MG

I am curious with your findings on the Halcyon LED'S. I purchased my scout over one year ago, is there a way to see which lumens I might have?

I'm pretty sure you've got closer to the 1200 lumens.

Its the new HP scout that has the 7500 lumens, and i believe its only for the 3C scouts -- i think if you've got an old one that an upgrade will work.

Oh, i guess those numbers are all relative to the distance that it was taken from which was about 5-6 feet or so, IIRC.

It wasn't highly scientific, but the results matched what the naked eye saw, with the new HPs being noticeably much brighter than my PTs and brighter still than the older scout LEDs (and it seems like there's at least two older generations of scout LEDs since there were two old scouts that had different measurements).

the new scouts just released in the past month or two, so I can almost guarantee yours will be one of the 'older' model... The upgrade for a scout HP (this works in 3C only) is around 129.00... upgrade to the XP is a bit less at 119.00. I think that is about what i paid for my first LED upgrade (for my 2 C scout) 3 or so years ago :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom