Scarey encounters!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wapyaly

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd really love to know anyone's scary encounters with creatures in the sea. Anyone done any shark dives?

we were diving a wreck at port townsen.
vis was a whopping 3ft while exploring the hold i saw this big pair of eyes coming at me out of the murk - scared the bejesus out of me!! it scared my buddy as well.

it was him.

James connell once bubbled...
we were diving a wreck at port townsen.
vis was a whopping 3ft while exploring the hold i saw this big pair of eyes coming at me out of the murk - scared the bejesus out of me!! it scared my buddy as well.

it was him.

lol

:lol:

Out here in British Columbia we have Giant North Pacific octopii. I once had a 10-12 foot female turn black from bright red without notice, and grab me with two more tenticles. I was just having a friendly one hand one tenticle arm wrestle.... we do it all the time! Well she decided that I smelled like a crab or something cause she wanted me in her den, and she was determined to get me in there. Now picture me on a 40 foot wall with my feet against the wall using leverage to get away from her! HAHA! I still laugh about it today.

Lesson learned - they're stronger than you might think.

Scary? About the scariest things in the water here in Puget Sound are human-induced. Sure we've got six-fill sharks, and giant octopus, and occasionally belligerent cabezons, lingcod, and sea lions ... but that's all stuff you can expect and deal with.

What scares me sometimes is fishermen who drive their boats into a marked dive site dragging a 20-pound downrigger and a half-dozen hooks on 50 feet of steel leader ... or the "native Americans" who disregard all rules and drag their nets wherever they damn well please ... or the occasional drunk fisherman who sees bubbles and decides to see if he can hook a "big one".

Then there's the occasional divers who decide to go spearfishing at a popular dive site while there are classes going on ... or that doing a drift dive across a ferry lane is a good idea ... now that is scary ... :wacko:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

most dangerous creature I've ever seen in the sea was...

Another diver...

Remember that scene in Jaws where the shark gets stuck in the cage and keeps thrashing until it destorys the cage ...

I was on the first dive of a 5 day liveaboard trip off Guadalupe island to observe white sharks - we were just doing a 30 min session in the cage to get familiar with the entry / exit procedure - no shark have ever been seen on the first dives - 20 mins after getting in a 12 - 14 ft female shows ups - gorgeous - cruising back and fore in front of the cages - what a rush - she lunges for the tuna head bait hanging next to our cage - and misses - but she does cut the rope and the tuna head floats freely directly in front of the cage - she turns and in 2 snaps the head is gone - great shots as she snaps head on to the cage - she keeps moving forward slowly and her snot pokes into the cage - the guy next to me jumps back ( as you would when a 12 ft shark is coming at you ! ) which catches her interest - so she moves a little futher forward with a short spurt of speed - as the cage opening closes on her she realizes she is trapped and starts to thrash = 4 divers pile one end of cage while she trashes the other in attempt to get free - 35 secs later shes out and away - we are left with half a cage !!!!

sealkie once bubbled...
Remember that scene in Jaws where the shark gets stuck in the cage and keeps thrashing until it destorys the cage ...

- as the cage opening closes on her she realizes she is trapped and starts to thrash = 4 divers pile one end of cage while she trashes the other in attempt to get free - 35 secs later shes out and away - we are left with half a cage !!!!

So you were left with only 2 divers?

sealkie once bubbled...
...<snip> 35 secs later shes out and away - we are left with half a cage !!!!
This was the cage that was going to protect you? :confused:
sealkie once bubbled...
... no shark have ever been seen on the first dives ...
Or... the appetizers didn't come back to tell about it. That waiver you signed didn't say anything about your use as "shark bait" did it?

:shark:

Clearly - no the cage will not stop a determined white shark ! - in this case the shark was paniced - she just wanted out - all her thrashing movements were away from the divers in the cage - not toward us - once she had broken free she bolted

No one was hurt

And to answer the releases question - i have never signed so much paper work - my apartment purchase aside - in one day in my life !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom