GUE class question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I have recently been taking small sips of the DIR koolaid and have a question about the classes. I have read that the primer class is mostly working on buoyancy, trim and learning some different kicks (finning techniques).

Which is basically what I am looking to learn the most at this point and time. But I am not quite ready to give up my ranger for a bp/w. So I am wondering that if I did take a primer class would the buoyancy/trim work transfer over to my ranger? Or would it be a waste to take the class and not continue on in a bp/w?

I am going to a gue demo day this weekend, so it may be a non issue if I fall in love after trying a bp/w. But otherwise I would just like to work on what I said before and possibly progress more down the road. I would assume the fundamentals class would be a better choice if I were ready to change all my gear over, but since I am not ready to swap out all my gear at this point the primer would be a better bet.

Bryan

hmm... i think actually you do kinda need to use a BP/W in primer... (at least thats what the workshop format says). there is a formula for trimming out a diver in a backplate and wing system that just doesn't translate to transpac's and rangers etc... Often the instructor or someone in the local group will have one for you to try out for the weekend of primer.

what you do after the primer is entirely up to you :wink:

I know they will rent me gear for the class, so that should not be a problem. But if like you said that trimming a bp/w is a totally different animal than my ranger maybe I should wait until I am ready to fully commit.

Thanks for the info.

I know they will rent me gear for the class, so that should not be a problem. But if like you said that trimming a bp/w is a totally different animal than my ranger maybe I should wait until I am ready to fully commit.

Thanks for the info.

Waiting until you acquire a BP/wing and accomplishing 20+ dives with the new gear configuration is probably a good idea...

imo, you should rent a bp/w and take the primer, its a workshop and that's the kind of thing that its for.

then you'll get a bp/w which fits properly and get shown a lot of the finer points that you'll miss on your own, and you should come out of the course ready to commit (or, in the event you don't, then you can just keep diving your ranger...)

Waiting until you acquire a BP/wing and accomplishing 20+ dives with the new gear configuration is probably a good idea...
Why? I spent part of this past weekend helping someone setup a bp/w who had been told/shown wrong online and was struggling unnecessarily.

I would say the sooner the better. My exgf went with a bp/w around qualified mentors and made progress tons faster than I ever did, or anyone else who I've seen that tried to learn on their own.

do primer and then decide :) you will have MUCH more data to base decisions on after the workshop... and some parts can be applied to ALL diving no matter the gear configuration...

Agreed!! It's not a decision you need to make now.

Have a great class :)!

I would say the sooner the better. My exgf went with a bp/w around qualified mentors and made progress tons faster than I ever did, or anyone else who I've seen that tried to learn on their own.

I totally agree. You basically said the same thing as I. How many dives did she accomplish with mentors? Mentors is the key to gaining a tech pass as you know although it is not discussed much at all on-line...

I only did a few dives in my hog rig before I took my UTD Essentials class, which is similar to GUE Primer. Had no real problems with the rig (I got it mostly right) but the instructor really helped me out with fitting it and lots of little details that even more experienced mentors may miss.

Primer, from my understanding, is the bare basics of diving so if you can rent/borrow a BP/W setup for the class then do that, then learn how it works and how different adjustments feel. After the class you can decide if the BP/W (and GUE training) is for you. I would even suggest diving your Ranger post-class to see if you notice a difference one way or another.

But in my limited experience, those who try a BP/W end up making the switch. I've lent mine out on a few occasions and they all rave about how comfortable it is in the water. :wink:

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom