Hollis 212/EOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skankpile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was talking to a dive shop today who pushes the Oceanic line and I talked up Hollis 212 and they mentioned they preferred the EOS as it was quieter, and their divers had a prefference towards the EOS... I was kinda dumbfounded by the quieter remark.

anybody notice such a difference?

Not sure if this is what they're talking about, but one of my buddies, who uses an EOS, said that my 212 sounded like it was honking when breathing on the surface. I never heard it, but that may be what they're referring to. Just a guess though.

"Honking" when you breathe out? I think they are supposed to. I temporarily had an Atomic M1 that did the same at the surface.

I think many make noise as the exhaust diaphram vibrates at the surface, but he was mentioning the hiss as it breathes underwater... I can't imagine it being much different

My 212s are very loud, kinda like a honking goose. I'm hoping all that will stop - they're in for service now. Both regulators started honking at around 35 dives.

I had the same problem with mine. Hollis initially told me it was because of the trimix. But they did it on Nitrox too. Tried servicing, extra grease, not taking them deep...nothing worked. I sold them a few months ago with full disclosure. Now the buyer has put them back on the market.

Interesting problem, I'll be conscious of that problem if it starts with mine.

I bought mine used, dove a couple of times with them, didn't see a problem but decided to service them since I figure you should every time you buy used. Hopefully they continue to breath issue-free.

I'm doing my AOW now and my instructor uses an aqualung Legend that hisses pretty loudly. I know when he's next to me easily without looking.

Strange that is a confirmed multiple occurrence, and backs up what my a LDS mentioned to me... I thought they were BS'ing but maybe there is something to it.

"Honking" when you breathe out? I think they are supposed to. I temporarily had an Atomic M1 that did the same at the surface.

Yes, or at least that's what i was told... didn't affect breathing at any depth, so not worried about it.

I could hear harmonics coming from the first stage from 40-190 feet. The "fix" was some grease on the first stage but the fix didn't work. I was not happy with the response of it will do that on trimix. These are supposed to be tech regs.

I replaced them with another brand. The new regs do not make noise and breathe great on trimix, nitrox, and air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom