What's in your thigh pocket and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
DIR suggests two thigh pockets; a flat one for wetnotes and tables, and a bellowed one for spools, double dogs, spare masks, waterproof autographed JJ baseball cards and whatever else you carry

I'm interested to know what you carry, and also where exactly (inner pocket, outside pocket, bottom of pocket etc) you put it - particularly in the bellowed pocket - and how you keep it there, eg bungee cord, clipped to a grommit, just sitting there etc. If you use a bungee cord retainer, how do you rig it?

Is there a 'standard' layout/equipment list, or do you tailor it to the dive in question? If the latter what do you take when and where, and why?

I have pockets glued onto a couple of my wetsuits and would like some suggestions on how to fill them

On a side note I like the Highlands pockets, which ones do you like and why?

Thanks!

I usually have an S&W airweight in my right pocket, car keys and what little money I have in my left.

:D

Two bellows pockets.

Actually, yes there is a suggested standard for pocket contents. I'm not sure now where I saw it.

Right pocket: Wetnotes, spare mask, spare spool, and my car key

Left: Lift bag or SMB and spool.

DIR suggests two thigh pockets; a flat one for wetnotes and tables, and a bellowed one for spools, double dogs, spare masks, waterproof autographed JJ baseball cards and whatever else you carry

Now it is two bellows pockets. No more flat pocket for wetnotes. Recommended to carry most important stuff in left pocket.

i put spools, cookies and arrows and leashes in the left pocket

backup mask, safety spool and my wetnotes in the right.

and I would advise against a flat pocket. you wont be able to fit anything in it

Here you go:

http://www.gue.com/files/nov2006changes.pdf

Pocket contents [Archive] - ScubaBoard

Standardized equipment placement for diver’s pockets
The lack of standardized placement for equipment stowed in a diver’s pockets continues
to create confusion among dive teams and may be considered a hazard during
emergencies in which a dive buddy needs to assist an incapacitated or troubled diver.
Therefore, GUE has agreed to standardize the placement of equipment in a diver’s
pockets. While it is understood that arguments might be made on all sides it has been
agreed that the diver’s left pocket will hold “utility” equipment while the right pocket
should hold “safety” equipment. This convention allows divers to become familiar with
placement which will best serve them in all diving scenarios. For example, a diver using
a scooter can access “utility” items while scootering. Utility items include but are not
limited to a primary SMB, double end clips, stage carry loops, jump spools etc.; safety
items include a reserve SMB, spare mask, safety spool, wet notes etc.

Thanks Randy that is just what I was looking for

I didn't know it was 2 bellows pockets now that's good, I always thought the flat pocket was a little limited

Safety pocket and utility pocket makes sense

Now I just want to know how to prevent dropping it all on the floor when I get out the thing that's in the bottom

So I would still like some detail on how the items are stored in the pockets ie how they are clipped or stored or just piled in randomly etc

Also installation of a 'bungee loop' how do you rig it and what do you clip to it?

if you have grommets in your pockets tie bungee loops into them. someone can post a picture I'm sure.

my pockets have rope loops sewn into them. if you buy the halcyon pockets the bungee is pre-installed and you can fit the entire universe in them.

I can take a picture, but don't have one here.

I have a loop of bungee about an inch and a half diameter in the front corner of each pocket.

Everything in my pocket has a clip on it and I attache that to the loop of bungee. It's sometimes a pain in the ass to get stuff out, but it's better than having my mask drop to the bottom when getting out the notes. Or the other way around. I arrange my right pocket so the notes are flat against my leg, the mask on top of those. I can run my hand around the edge of the pocket, open the flap and slide my hand along my leg to get the notes. They're always right there. and they are on the first clip (close to my leg) on the loop.

A small double ender holds my mask to the loop.

In the left pocket: I use the double ender on a spool which is already rigged to the bag, and then then is clipped off to the pocket loop.

Thanks Randy that is just what I was looking for

I didn't know it was 2 bellows pockets now that's good, I always thought the flat pocket was a little limited

Safety pocket and utility pocket makes sense

Now I just want to know how to prevent dropping it all on the floor when I get out the thing that's in the bottom

So I would still like some detail on how the items are stored in the pockets ie how they are clipped or stored or just piled in randomly etc

Also installation of a 'bungee loop' how do you rig it and what do you clip to it?

Attachments

• IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2483.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 337
I'm doing Adv Wreck in a couple of weeks, planning to have the following in my (single) pocket; suggestions for how and where to put what?

75' jump/gap spool
Mask
Cookies & arrows
A couple of double enders
Wetnotes

...or what I should add/subtract?

Will also carry a 150' spool but was planning to clip it on a d-ring (as well as my primary reel, which is either a Manta Sr or a Pathfinder 400 (have both, haven't decided which to use yet, will try both although the Manta has #36 so I'm leaning towards it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom