Nitek X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmathfd

New
Reaction score
Went into the local dive shop to order a new Nitek X and was told that a new version will be introduced at DEMA in a few weeks and to wait.... Can't find any information out there saying anything about it. Anyone have any further information???

Hi haz,

Yes, we do have a new computer in development. Tmix, OLED, rechargeable batts, USB cable for both charging and downloading, 4th cell integration for rebreather

ETA...not yet :)

I'll post more as soon as I can,
Kathleen

With winter on it's way soon, i guess i will wait for it.......

The X wasnt on the market very long. Was there something wrong with it? I am kind of concerned, because I sold my VR3 and waited over 2 years for the X to arrive, and within a few years it is discontinued.

The X wasnt on the market very long. Was there something wrong with it? I am kind of concerned, because I sold my VR3 and waited over 2 years for the X to arrive, and within a few years it is discontinued.
I'm not sure how DR will respond but here was my consumer driven experience with it.

It took forever to come out and that was a problem as when it was envisioned the features it offered were good (if still not quite superb or cutting edge). However by the time it arrived on the market, it had some very stiff competition in terms of more proven computers offerring better features at a lower price point.

When I was looking for a new Helium capable computer I demo'd the X and was not impressed. It was well built but the display was small, the back lighting poor, the features were middle of the road, it used buttons with the potential to stick if contaminated with small grains of sand and the price was $1600 - about $500 higher than other computers with comparable or better features.

Several months later DR did drop the price to around $1100, but I'd already long since bought another computer, and frankly, at best the X was still no better, and often not as capable, as other computers in the $1100 price range.

There was also a problem with the battery cap that was not well timed and probably did not inspire confidence in it.

I think from that perspective DR needed to come out with a new X just to escape the luke warm to cold response showered on the X.

I've had a production version of the X for a couple years and have been very unimpressed. It took a very long time for DR got get it to the market. There was much talk about its price being under $1000 prior to release and when release it was much higher, closer to $1500.

I personally had major issues with the unit resetting as I entered the water. Contacted DR via ScubaBoard and they connected me with Pete N (Sales Rep) and he supplied me with a new battery cap, spring and a tool to tighten the cap that was not originally included with the production unit. Apparently, the battery shifted during back rolls or giant strides and this caused the unit to loose power which reset the entire unit loosing all gas inputs, time data, logbook, etc.

Then the issues really started... The battery housing uses extremely coarse threads made out of aluminum. They cross thread almost immediately. I have only changed the battery twice and now the cross threading has rendered the unit inoperable. I recently email DR for support, hopefully they are as responsive as previously. I'll be sure to let you know.

All in all, for a solid tek/trimix/ccr computer, buy a Shearwater Predator and save yourself the aggravation.

I've had a production version of the X for a couple years and have been very unimpressed. It took a very long time for DR got get it to the market. There was much talk about its price being under $1000 prior to release and when release it was much higher, closer to $1500.

I personally had major issues with the unit resetting as I entered the water. Contacted DR via ScubaBoard and they connected me with Pete N (Sales Rep) and he supplied me with a new battery cap, spring and a tool to tighten the cap that was not originally included with the production unit. Apparently, the battery shifted during back rolls or giant strides and this caused the unit to loose power which reset the entire unit loosing all gas inputs, time data, logbook, etc.

Then the issues really started... The battery housing uses extremely coarse threads made out of aluminum. They cross thread almost immediately. I have only changed the battery twice and now the cross threading has rendered the unit inoperable. I recently email DR for support, hopefully they are as responsive as previously. I'll be sure to let you know.

All in all, for a solid tek/trimix/ccr computer, buy a Shearwater Predator and save yourself the aggravation.

I bought a nitek x, new ...I'm scarred to use it in my shower,
Thank you dive rite you showed me your dedication to quality , the X it was the last product I bought from you.

Sincerely crappy nitek X

I was contacted by DR customer service today about fixing my Nitek X. I was told to estimate $50 to replace the housing and fix the issue. The rep also Mentioned that the new Nitek QS4 should be available in 30-45 days and that I could possibly trade-in/upgrade the Nitek X to the new unit. We'll see about that, but not going to say I won't consider it.

I have to admit that even though I have had repeated issues with my Nitek X, DR customer support has been quick to respond both times with potential solutions. Feels like they understand the Nitek X was a lot of hype for what turned out to be an inadequate product, but they are trying to keep customers happy. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

That's concerning. I have been really interested in the upcoming new Tek computer from diverite, but after reading about the issues here I'm not so sure I am willing to take a chance. Thanks for the info and please keep us all informed on the results of the repair/trade in.

That's concerning. I have been really interested in the upcoming new Tek computer from diverite, but after reading about the issues here I'm not so sure I am willing to take a chance. Thanks for the info and please keep us all informed on the results of the repair/trade in.

Interesting side note, I just snooped on the diverite website and it seems like there are more items under the "retired" aka discontinued tab than there seems to be current items.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom