how to add weight on the DiveRite Nomad when diving single tank or doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ept44

Contributor
Reaction score
if anyone can help me out please do i am not sure how to add weight to the nomad without wearing a weight belt i will be diving in singles and doubles for a little while i need to put about 20 pounds on

You can use a v-weight with the doubles, but that will only get you about 4-8 lbs. If you have enough room on the waist strap, you can use weight pockets.

weight pockets thanks where can i buy these?

Call Ed at Cave Adventurers: caveadventurers.com - Home

That is the shop Diveaholic uses as well as me and many others. Tell Ed what you need to do with your Nomad, he will tell you how to do it and give you the best price.

weight pockets thanks where can i buy these?

They're really great prices; I just ordered my Nomad, plus weightplate, 32lb weight pockets, bellows pocket and an XL knife from Dive Gear Express - a little dearer than the Cave Divers people but I major attraction for me was their free delivery overseas (ie Australia), which males a big difference as I have to keep the overall cost (incl freight) down below $AU1000, or else we get hit with import duty and GST on top of that at 10%. The $AU has moved from about US$0.80 to around 99c in recent weeks which is good news for anyone buying gear from the US but doesn't look good for you in the States I guess.

Weight pockets were never my favorite because it can throw trim off,or be an entanglement hazard if mounted in a critical location. Putting block weights on the shoulders has been popular. A method I like is using thin steel plates that are approx 4" wide and 12" long,and stacking them in the area between the wing and back padding. Each plate weighs 1 1/4 lb,and they stack very neatly,and places the ballast in an optimum location to retain trim.

Weight pockets were never my favorite because it can throw trim off,or be an entanglement hazard if mounted in a critical location. Putting block weights on the shoulders has been popular. A method I like is using thin steel plates that are approx 4" wide and 12" long,and stacking them in the area between the wing and back padding. Each plate weighs 1 1/4 lb,and they stack very neatly,and places the ballast in an optimum location to retain trim.

For those of us that fly to our dive location, the weights on the shoulder straps push us over the weight limits on our gear bags. We need pockets to add weight when we get there.

Any suggestions for the best place to put the pockets? I thought of just putting them over the shoulder straps.

I really don't like weight pockets on the nomad, but the best way I've seen was to attach a small pocket between the shoulder blades on the back of the harness.

May be slightly unorthidox but I use 2 inch cam straps on the bottom holds on my side mounts and have added a quick dump 5 lb weight pouch in these straps. I can ditch them easy, my Al80s are negative all the time and trim is good.

Using the cam straps I can rig up any full tank, regardless of size, in less than a minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom