Butterfly House opened for pre-season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Farty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Butterfly House is truly one of the best dive sites in Carmel if ... if there is not so much kelp (Dec-May). We dove there maybe 20 times last winter and with little bit of luck hit 80FT visibility.

Last time I dove Butterfly House (it was sometimes in July), there was kelp everywhere. It was very dark even in 60FT and not so pleasant.

I could not wait for less kelp and tried it yesterday with Scubabumps. The kelp is all over the beach and it's really not so easy to walk over it (be ready to dance around and then fell in it). The entry is clean and although there was maybe 5ft viz in the cove, it was not so hard to get out (no crawling over the kelp). Once we got out, took 240 heading and quickly (well maybe 5 minutes of fast kicking) got from no viz to decent depth, the viz improved to maybe 25FT and in 60-70FT depth Butterfly House showed it's beauty.

If you never dove there before, then I recommend to wait couple months, you will be amazed. If you dove there before and love this place, then it's time to check it out, pre-season is here.

Last edited:
How hard it is to walk down there?

In all my years of diving Monterey, I've never braved the climb down/up, and have never had the pleasure. I really need to just do it already.

the actual path (marked in blue) is the same all year long (except rainy day) and is not so hard (probably harder with doubles). I walked it many times with no issues.

The storm took all the kelp from the the cove which is good and bad. The beach is covered with thick kelp (almost one foot) and it's kinda harder to walk on it (not impossible, but harder). The good thing is that the kicking out from the cove is easier than ever.

this is a map I created while back (dotted line is underwater, solid is kicking, orange is parking - be careful with parking few sides are no parking zone), we usually do heading between 210 and 240. I found this area to be better with more boulders than 270 or 300

if you want the best experience then wait few more months, I promise winter diving at Butterfly House is better than anything in Carmel (I accept bets of course)

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 165
I just wish there were more places to launch in Carmel...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom