Mke Car Ferry 81st Anniversary Memorial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Thought

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Although this topic can fit many forums such as shows - events - wrecks, I thought it was appropriate for the Midwest Wreck Divers.

For those who have not had the opportunity to visit the shipwrecks located off the city of Milwaukee, WI you will find a divers paradise of shipwrecks from recreational, techreational, to full blown tech. The Milwaukee Car Ferry is a fantastic cross over from recreational to techreational with depths from 90 - 130 feet, very intact with tons of structure, and unlimited advanced penetration opportunities. The car ferry was a unique ship built to carry railroad cars across the lake rather than take the long way from Milwaukee, WI to Luddington going south through Chicago and around the bottom of the lake... it was a short cut. Pictures and more information can be found at Shipwreck Explorers or Pirate's Cove Diving, Inc.

I just left Loves Park Scuba, and Lockwood Museum Welcome to Loves Park Scuba - The Midwests Premiere Dive Center where Dan Johnson hosted a presentation on the Milwaukee Car Ferry. Brendon Bailod www.ship-wrecks.net gave a very nice historical presentation on the wreck, as well as we watched the Deep Sea Detectives episode on the MCF. Diving legend John Steele was there and I had him sign a 1988 copy of Skin Diver magazine that I had open on the bookshelf for years with the John Steele story of "underwater junk collector". Dan was dressed in period costume of the late captain McKay, there were beverages and even dessert after the show!

If you have not visited the Lockwood Pioneer Museum, I would highly encourage a road trip with a few dive buddies, enjoy the Loves Park area - see the Lockwood Pioneer Museum, then perhaps visit the history museum in Chi. It is worth the trip with lots of shiny shipwreck things.... Call Dan ahead of time as he has a great indoor pool and he may be able to schedule a fun splash party for your group as well as a special museum tour.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom