Looking for info on the css Arkansas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all I have been looking to find info on the civil war ironclad CSS Arkansas and what I have found is that it is around the Baton Rouge area on the Mississippi river.

on 6 August 1862 she was engaged by Essex about 5 miles above Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Plagued by engine trouble, she was unable to fight or flee and drifted ashore. There she was abandoned and fired to prevent capture.
Current Disposition
The Arkansas currently rests, aligned north/south, deep under a levee roughly 1.4 miles south of the auto/rail bridge just below Free Negro Point. The wreck is 690 feet past river mile 233.

What I'm looking for is if anyone knows were this location might be or if they have ever seen this ironclad?
The info I have found is very sparce so I'm turning to the locals for help if anyone in the area can help please do thanks! :D

Sounds like its under a levee, doesn't that mean its under earth? Not in the water?

Vis in the Mississippi sucks. :( Don't mean to be a downer.

You'd have better luck(not to be confused with good luck) at diving the ironclad off Fort Morgan at the mouth of Mobile Bay.

Back
Top Bottom