Pregnancy and Scuba!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sontek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How long can someone dive after they become pregnant? How long after birth do they have to wait until they can dive again?

There are not a lot of data on diving and pregnancy, but there are some small studies that suggest a higher rate of birth defects in women who continue to dive. The current recommendation is that, once you know you are pregnant, you not dive until you have given birth. This is based on the idea that diving is a purely elective activity, and doing anything to increase risk that you can avoid doing is a bad idea.

As far as when you can resume diving after parturition, it would depend on whether the birth was vaginal or by C-section, and whether there were any complications. As a physician, I'd say waiting a couple of weeks to replace blood loss and heal the episiotomy would be advisable, at the very least.

I'm wondering why two posters think a third poster is pregnant just because they start a thread about scuba diving and pregnancy.

Does anyone know how to reduce the size of a 12" um...

Never mind

How on earth did you get pregnant sontek?

Generally that happens when sperm hits the egg ... :wink: usually sex is involved, sometimes that is done artificially.

:wink:

I'm wondering why two posters think a third poster is pregnant just because they start a thread about scuba diving and pregnancy.

Sense of humor, find one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom