Need some help Australia, Fiji, NZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndreaLP

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys!

So I was looking for some advice on diving some regions. I will be moving to Townsville, Australia in Feb. staying until about July to study abroad. I am advanced scuba certified, but have only had maybe 25 dives. Any advice on the BEST places to go on the GBR? The only dive I have heard is forsure a must due is the Yongala....Could do live-aboards on weekends, or breaks. Dont want to spend too much money, because I plan on doing quite a bit of diving.

Also planning on going to New Zealand and Fiji on my way home, after diving the GBR for several months will it even be worth it to dive NZ and Fiji?!

Thanks in advance for advice!!!

Studying at JCU? I'm a JCU grad and they have a really active dive club on campus, so when you arrive, try to get involved in that. Yongala is really a must do. But to do the liveaboards, you really need to get up to Cairns. There's one boat that runs out of Townsville that does an overnight trip to Yongala, but that's about the extent of it. Remote Area Dive in the city runs day trips and overnight trips up to Orpheus Island (about 2 hours drive north of Townsville, and then you get a boat over to the Island). All nice enough :) But the best diving is on the outer GBR north of Cairns. Which requires a 4-7 night liveaboard - not cheap, but certainly while you're here on exchange it should be a must do!

Hi Andrea,

I agree with WetPup - while you are so close you must dive the Ribbon Reefs and Cod Hole - minimum three night trips out of Cairns. If you go arround June/July, expect to be in the water with dwarf minke whales :D

Have a look at our diving Ribbon Reefs video.

The Fijian Islands, too are worthy of a visit while you are in the area.

Good luck with your studies.

Wetpup, yes studying at JCU! I had heard about the dive club from someone else too, so I will definetely be looking into that!

Onthespot, thanks for the help and for linking the video!

So liveaboard trip out of cairns... and the yongala are both worth while it sounds! At least now I have some direction :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom