Looking for a DIR Bottom Timer or Compliant Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindwhite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need a recommendation DIR compliant computer or bottom timer. I am going to be taking the GUE Primer course soon and probably the fundamentals class next year. My current computer, Aeris XR2, is not compatible with DIR standards.

I was initially going to purchase a Uwatec bottom timer until I noticed the price, $350! That's the same price as a very nice computer. Then I started to look at computers. The trouble is it is difficult for me to tell which computers are DIR compatible and which are not. I would also like something that can be mounted with a bungee mount. I looked pretty hard at the Nitek Trio but I am just not sure if it is DIR or not. I don't want to spend my money on a piece of equipment that I will not be able to use in class.

A little help for a DIR noob?

Just put black tape over the offending functions.

XR2 is a serious pain to use a gauge for two reasons:

1. No bungee mount. Getting that damn thing strapped on over my 7mm suit is a serious pain
2. The computer has to be switched back into gauge every time it wakes up.

I honestly would prefer a bottom timer with a stop watch and depth averaging.

There are two versions of the Uwatec Bottom Timer: imperial and metric. You might want to check what you bid on.

I've used an Aladin Tec2G for several years. Nice gauge function, and DSS makes a boot (actually it's the same form factor as the Uwatec Bottom Timer.

IIRC, there was a recent update to the Tec2G.

Best.

Nitek Duo's have gauge mode, they're cheap used, and support data logging. Not that data logging is all that useful, but hey, it's there.

There are two versions of the Uwatec Bottom Timer: imperial and metric. You might want to check what you bid on.

With a bottom timer I am not too concerned about imperial vs metric.I am comfortable with estimating and visualizing distance in meters. If this were a pressure gauge then I would be more concerned.

I've used an Aladin Tec2G for several years. Nice gauge function, and DSS makes a boot (actually it's the same form factor as the Uwatec Bottom Timer.

IIRC, there was a recent update to the Tec2G.

Best.

Thanks. I was wondering about the Aladin. I had read that some if the early models had reliability problems. Apparently this was resolved with the 2G. I will take a closer look.

Nitek Duo's have gauge mode, they're cheap used, and support data logging. Not that data logging is all that useful, but hey, it's there.

Thanks. I will check out the Duo as well. I use a Sensus Ultra for logging and love it.

Thanks everyone. Keep the recommends coming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom