Name dropping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgil

Contributor
Reaction score
diving last weekend i borrowed a dry suit from my instructor who told me that he had been wearing it when acting as safety diver for a tv show,(Midsommer Murders), and had been in shot when it was screened last week.

that reminded me that last year i dived in Mexico and when i busted a fin stap i was able to borrow one that had been used by Lloyd Grossman when he dived there the year before.

am i friend to the stars or what? can you beat my celeb diving shenanigans?

Virgil- I would rather drop the names of the many research scientists, conservationists, educators and hall of fame divers I've had the pleasure of sharing the waters with than someone whose only claim to fame was they were actors.

Big-name actors are (IMHO) grossly overpaid individuals whose only benefit to society is that they provide momentary entertainment. It reminds me of the fall of the Roman Empire when gladiatorial combat and other forms of entertainment were apparently stressed over more fundamentally necessary social functions like the ones provided by those I dive with. Today America seems preoccupied with entertainment (movie and sports stars) than fundamental issues like education.

I have known actors myself, some have been wonderful people and some have been complete *ssholes steeped in their own self-importance. One was especially good to my early marine biology education program in the late 60's and 70's by donating a compressor to us.

Entertainers? Big deal, unless they are good humanitarians concerned about issues beyond themselves and the art.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom