New to area but not diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold-corey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
I'm also new to NorCal diving but have been diving for almost 15 years. Where should we newbies hit first for an introduction to all that is wonderful in NorCal? :D
I'm also Nitrox certified but I'm not sure how much that will come into play here in NorCal.

I'm in Redwood City and would also like to find a buddy.

Thanks and I look forward to all that the Bay area has to offer under water,

Corey

Welcome Corey! The best place for newbies in the area is the break water in Monterey. Also known as the coast guard pier, or San Carlos beach. The diving is so so, but there are a lot of divers there and the facilities are nice. There is a dive shop right there that pumps nitrox. It will get you used to the local diving in a safe environment where you will likely meet a lot of new people.

Welcome to Norcal, Corey, hope to see you at a meet and greet!

Hey Corey, welcome to the bay area! This weekend I'm booked but sometime this month of next we should go diving. I'm based in Santa Clara so we can carpool down if you're willing to swing by.

-Mike

I plan on going out Sunday morning for a couple dives. I hope the weather moving in doesn't make the vis go to poop. I guess that is something to check before I drive 90 minutes. =)
I'm looking forward yo meeting you and getting some dives in,
Corey

Are there websites that I can check to see what mood the ocean will be in prior to driving the 90 minutes to Monterey?

Thanks,

Corey

Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

The offshore wave height forecast is what I use to determine if I'll make the 80 mile drive, if the WAM shows above the storm threshhold (the dotted red line) I won't make the drive.
Anything below the storm threshhold you can usually find somewhere to dive, never any guarantees though, but it's what I go by.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom