Diving in Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeroenelout

Reaction score
I made a link about diving in Malta, so have a look.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~jelout/divespots.html

Malta?
The Maltese archipelago consists of 3 islands lying in the middle of the Mediterranean, 93km (57mi) south of Sicily and 350km (217mi) north of Libya.

And...It's a heaven for divers! It's blue and it's magic for those that like to dive on Wrecks, true stone arches, tunnels and caves. Clear water.

See you in Malta!!!

www.go.to/divingdutchman

I was in Malta May 2003, there's a trip report on here somewhere if you do a search.

Definitely the best place I've dived in the Med. Good selection of Wrecks, Caves and lots of marine life if you dive the right sites.

I used www.subwayscuba.co.uk. I hired all my kit and had no problems with it. They are also very competitive on costs if you check around.

Along with Matlaqua they are the longest running dive centres on the island (I'm told).

Couldn't agree more.

spent a week diving there in May and loved it. Interesting and varied topography, good wrecks although not too much wildlife.

would definitely reccomend it.

If Malta/Gozo is the best the Med has to offer, I will rather dive in a muddy pit in the midlands of the UK.

We were there for a week a year ago, and I hated every minute of the diving set up they have.

Long walks to clear water with no marine life. the wreck that we dived had only just been put there so no chance of anything growing just yet.

Wont be returning to Malta or Gozo - ever!

I'd have to agree with you Jeroenelout - I think the diving in Malta is great, with something to suit all tastes and levels of experience. So much so that we have had 2 group trips there in the last 6 months alone!

Happy bubbles!

Shaun

The diving around Gozo was without a doubt the best I've done in the Med. Yes there is generally little life but the topography underwater was mindblowing and comparaly in that respect to the diving I did around the similan islands.
The Azure Window and Blue Hole was a dive I will always remember!! This can be done as a part of or seperate too diving the Inland Sea although this does depend on visibility and also your air consumption. If you do the 2 together I would recommend diving from the Inland Sea, out around the point, through the arch making up the Azure Window and into the cavern beneath the Blue Hole.

It's been a while since I was out there and my understanding is that the Maltese authorities have been proactive in fisheries protection, and as a consequence there is now more to be seen by way of marine life.

Don't remember the name of thje wreck the authorities sunk on Gozo but that made a fantastic dive, particularly for me as that was the 1st wreck dive I've done.

As I dived Gozo only on that trip, I would be interested to know how it compares to Malta itself and also if the Rozie is worth diving.

Greg

I am getting excited! The wife and I are going to Malta next June. We are staying near Qwara Bay. Would appreciate any other tips any of you had.

Thanks.
--Alex

Alex,

See my response earlier in this thread, and also review I did last year for info on diving. Other tips when your visiting :-

I stayed in Qwara/Bugibba, nice area, no sandy beach unfortunately. There is some reasonable snorkelling just out from the main square. Rocky bottom, 3-5 metres deep, gullies,etc. You can see quite a few varieties of Wrasse, etc. You can get a sun lounger at one of the bars nearby for a £1 a day with free drinks and toastie (bargain).

If you choose to use Subway for diving you can find them by standing in the main square. Put your back to the sea and walk straight up. They are on the right in a basement, sign above the door, just as you reach the crossroads.

This is also the easiest way to describe the way to a really nice chinese restaurant we found. If you turn left at the above crossroads, and walk about 20 metres it's on your right. There are about four down there but this one seemed like the best to us.

I'd also strongly recommend you try one of the ice cream sundies. Really nice mobile van thing down near the Harbour. If you walk along the sea front towards St.Paul's Bay, passed the square, passed MacDonalds, and then just as you get to the Harbour. My personal favourite was the fresh ice cream, stacked with fresh strawberries, flake in the top, and a bit more straberry sauce on top for good measure....fantastic. Got to keep the calories up for all that diving ;-)

We enjoyed it so much we are going back in Sept 04. Probably going to be staying in St.Paul's Bay area again too.

Hope you and your wife enjoy it.

just back from malta,the diving was ok but could have been better.Found the island to be a bit dirty lots of litter.Gozo was better but £ for £ better going to red sea

Malta. We did a cruise that went to Malta in October. It was by a wide margin the least favorite port of all on the cruise. Nice to visit once I suppose, but I will not return. Did not do any diving.

dnhill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom