Is it ok to ask to join a random group of divers on the spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't have many diving friends so when I go to Monterey I'm usually by myself. Is it ok to go up to a group of divers and ask if I can join their group, or would that lead to awkwardness if everyone is already paired up?

I think it's fine to ask, but you should be prepared to be turned down. Perhaps their plans just aren't compatible with you included. Don't take it personally if that happens. Many others won't mind.

Really, though, your best bet might be to find a buddy ahead of time. These forums are great for meeting people. Next time you're planning to head down to Monterey, why not throw up a post here looking for a buddy or two? Dive shops are another great resource for meeting divers.

Good luck!

I think it's fine to ask, but you should be prepared to be turned down. Perhaps their plans just aren't compatible with you included. Don't take it personally if that happens. Many others won't mind.

Really, though, your best bet might be to find a buddy ahead of time. These forums are great for meeting people. Next time you're planning to head down to Monterey, why not throw up a post here looking for a buddy or two? Dive shops are another great resource for meeting divers.

Good luck!

Yes, what Rainer posted is perfect.

At our local quarry, a diver I did not know approached me and ask if he could dive with me. I told him I was going to the student platform to videotape some buddies who were preparing for their upcoming Fundies class and that was all we were doing on that dive. We were not swimming around to see the attractions. It was all timed descents/ascents, propulsion, OOA and shooting SMB.

Needless to say, he changed his mind and decided he did not want to dive with us. :idk:

Early on it might be kinda hard to find buddies, and everyone always seems so busy. If you find a popular site where the dive clubs and groups (especially free groups) meet up on a regular basis and show up then, I'd imagine it'd be much easier for you to find a buddy. That's what I did down here.

I'm only just now meeting people well enough to actually find buddies and dives a bit more often. Networking is best, but I've met divers through dive clubs, dive-site specific forums(Monterey might have one), divebuddy.com, Scubaboard.com, of course, and I see a lot of dive plans on meetup.com. I haven't met anyone through there, however.

Sure, worst they can do is shoot you :)

I don't have many diving friends so when I go to Monterey I'm usually by myself. Is it ok to go up to a group of divers and ask if I can join their group, or would that lead to awkwardness if everyone is already paired up?
I have had just that happen before. As long as we can fit them into our dive plan no problem the diver is more than welcome to come.

Never hurts to ask and as also said above do not take it personally if you get rejected.

If I'm diving with friends (rather than a class) you'd be welcome to join. I'm pretty easy to spot as I'm 6' of teal wetsuit and ridiculous knife (as per avatar).

Fuzzy,

You are on the right track, but a little better advice is to post on this forum... Many local divers myself included will post on the board when we have a off day during the week for a buddy...

It's better to plan your dive and dive your plan... Diving outside this spectrum can be confusing for all parties and lead to uneeded stress out in the water... JM2cents... :)

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom