Ady Gil sinking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was just watching the hit the Ady Gil Sea Shepherd boat took this last Jan or Feb.
but what I was wanting to know did this boat go down or did they bring it home?

I do know they have found a new boat to take its place but what did happen to this bat boat?

It sunk:
The crew of the Ady Gil were taken off and the salvage operation was abandoned. The vessel was reported as sinking on January 7, 2010.
from Wikipedia.

I ........ but what did happen to this bat boat?

If you like cold water then you have a new dive site :wink:

Artificial_Reef.jpg

what a waste of a good looking boat.....And I bet that sucker is deep too.

They were trying to catch up to the fleet while towing the Ady Gil, but because it continued to slowly take on water and they were falling further and further out of range they had to make a decision. Pete said that since the Ady was obviously eventually going to go down anyway he didn't want to lose the fleet completely and they let the ship loose. As they sped away you could see the Ady Gil taking on more and more water.

Lets say they abandoned the idea of chasing the whalers and concentrated on the Ady Gil rescue. How would that have been done? It's not like they were near a modern port, they were going to have to take it across the ocean to a port that could repair it. It was just wishful thinking even towing it towards the research station.

I think it's Captain was emotionally tied to the vessel (I know I would be) and might not be the best judge of the situation. He had some time in jail to think about it and then being kicked out of the Sea Shepherd's in a deal to get him out of jail may have left him a bit reminiscent of his old ship - and wishing he had it back.

Peter Bethune has been reported as saying a number of times that it wasn't taking on water and was...
“It was definitely salvageable, it was still rock solid from the engine room back,” he told Radio New Zealand today.
Activist Pete Bethune quits Sea Shepherd, saying protest ship was sunk to gain 'sympathy' | The Australian

Sea Shepherd, Peter Bethune: Was Ady Gil Salvageable After Collision? | Surf Travel, Surf Reports, Ocean Conservation, Marine Life, Surfing Worldwide, Surfspots-GPS
Pete Bethune Says Sea Shepherd Deliberately Sunk Its Own Ship to 'Garner Sympathy' : TreeHugger

It doesn't say if the engine was still operable though.

“It was definitely salvageable, it was still rock solid from the engine room back,” he told Radio New Zealand today.

Maybe, but they were a long way from someplace that could do that. It's difficult enough for a sturdy ship to cross that part of the ocean - known as the Roaring 40's.

Looks pretty bad to me. If you watched the series, they showed water coming into the cockpit. It was completely open from the cockpit into the ocean.

images

Back
Top Bottom