Nikonos experts wanted!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

basiltan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My Nikonos V flooded and I had it repaired. But after it came back, something's not right but the local Nikon service centre claims it's okay.

When I take a picture ,using the standard 35mm lens, above water, the picture turns out okay. But underwater, with lens set to infinite focus, the focus is out. What gives?

A bit more information please. You're saying the 35mm lens works OK on land but doesn't work underwater. This doesn't really make sense because the 35mm lens is basicially an air lens behind a glass plate, which allows it to work the the same underwater as it does above water.

Were your above water photos really that great after the repair?

rather than the camera shaking - what shutter speed - what F-stop ? what is out of focus ?

sample ...

Hello,

I have direct experience with sub aquatic in cali. They do excellent work and could probably tell you on the phone what's wrong.

Ed

agstreet once bubbled...
A bit more information please. You're saying the 35mm lens works OK on land but doesn't work underwater. This doesn't really make sense because the 35mm lens is basicially an air lens behind a glass plate, which allows it to work the the same underwater as it does above water.

Were your above water photos really that great after the repair?

Exactly! Why with the same Auto setting with infinite focus (f2.5) have different results? The photos above water was in focus, meaning like taking a picture with a normal auto land based camera.

Underwater results were blur, fuzzy images, with the same setting.

sealkie once bubbled...
rather than the camera shaking - what shutter speed - what F-stop ? what is out of focus ?

sample ...

The camera was set on Auto, f2.5, infinite focus distance. I don't think it is camera shake as all the underwater images are blured and fuzzy.

You say the camera was set to auto - I assume all the underwater shots were taken on the same dive - what were light conditions like ?

What film were you using

Were you using a strobe

Did you notice what shutter speed the camera was using ?

You may have had enough light on land to use F2.5 with auto shutter and the shutter speed was fast enough for there to be no shake. Once underwater the light could have been cut enough that the shutter speed was down to less that 1/30 and the camera shake is causing the blur. Underwater I can`t shot at less 1/60 without.

What was the subject matter ? Using F2.5 you have a shallow depth of field - you said you had set infinate focus - so only stuff in the distance will be in focus using those settings.

Can you scan and post a sample ?

I will add - Southern Nikonos may be good but they are rude - the guys at sub aquatic in Ca are wonderful - www.subaquaticcamera.com

Back
Top Bottom