CDWS Exam and Work Permit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrokenCircadian

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read several of the threads posted in this forum regarding the CDWS exams and the process for obtaining a work permit. I was hoping some of the more experienced members of this forum could clear a few questions up for me.

Background: I'm a divemaster new to Dahab looking to start some freelance work, as I understand that's mostly how it works here.

I've heard from several sources that the CDWS exam is administered on Sundays in Sharm, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the CDWS site. Do I need to register for it beforehand? Where do I need to go to take the exam? What do I need to take with me (Passport, photocopies, etc.)? Do I need to have a dive shop ready to sponsor me before I take the exam, or can I pass the exam while searching for a sponsoring dive shop?

For any members in Dahab, if you have any suggestions on who may be willing to sponsor me, please let me know! I would greatly appreciate it. Until then, I will be going around to the many shops here trying to find a place to call home.

Thank you in advance for clearing up these questions!

Try this link: Chamber of Diving and Water sports - Red Sea - Egypt

You do not need to register beforehand.

You need a dive center stamp your application to get your papers processed. You can pass the exam first, but the answer sheet asks for the dive center you're working for.

If I were in your shoes, I would have searched for a dive center first.

Shadow - Thank you for the reply. The problem I'm running into now is every shop I go to the first thing I hear is "Do you have your CDWS?" When my response is no, and I explain that I'm looking for a sponsor first, I'm met with a "Come back when you get your card."

I imagine this is because people are either unwilling or unable to sponsor me and are willing to wait for someone else to do it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only option I see is to continue searching.

okay - so the work permit application process - which does vary but the official process is:

- obtain certificate of excellence from the CDWS. This must be signed and stamped by a dive centre
- take a blood test in El Tur. Can only be done in El Tur!
- pass CDWS exam (this can be done any time, before or after work permit application)
- Apply for work permit.

The first three things can be accomplished independently of each other, then the results are collated and sent, along with your passport, to cairo, depending on your dive centre, or processed in El Tur - I know some people who took their letters and results and got a worm permit in El Tur on the same day - and the stamp is a stamp which says "work is not permitted" with the "not" scribbled out in biro. Seriously.

One the work permit is returned, you can take this and apply for your CDWS card.

With the exam in Sharm - it is taken at the buliding of the "South Sinai Protectorates" in a large auditorium. You don't need to book in advance. Is there no CDWS office in Dahab where this can be done? I work in Sharm not Dahab, so not 100% sure what goes on up there.

If you come to Sharm, it's located in Hadaba and quite easy to find. I can give you directions if you need.

Freelancing is still possible, but getting the initial stamp means you need a dive centre to sponsor you, which means you need to work for them, but you can't work for them if you don't have a work permit and CDWS cards...! Argh!

The whole process costs between 2500 - 3500 Egyption pounds (300 - 450 Euros ish) depending on dive centre and location.

The probem is, it's a significant investment in time and effort and money for the dive centre and although it is still possible to work on trial in some locations, dive centres are being very hesitant about whom they hire at the moment. I can't speak for Dahab but I am aware from friends there that the situation is similar, but the days of the wandering freelancer appear to have been severely restricted.

Hope that helps a bit - as I say - need more input from the Dahab folk but that's what I went through last year, so I know exactly how it works!

Cheers

C.

Sorry to say, but with searching its impossible to find any support from a divecentre. my only way to get the support from a divecentre is by paying all the costs including the lawyer fee's. roughly 9000 LE a 10.000 LE for a work visa. its alot of money, but its cheaper than starting your own bussiness thats costing 100.000LE for a foreigner. but with your own company your able to obtain that CDWS card. otherwise i would suggest to take a look to the hotels outside the checkpoints of dahab. on the strip (boulervard) its impossible nowadays to obtain a work permit.

As I said - dive centres are not willing to commit because of te investment required to do so.

If you're being charged 9 - 10 thousand there is something wrong there - did you ask the CDWS for advice? They are not my favourite organisation in the world but they can help from time to time.

The most important thing is actually being here (or there) - difficult to recruit over the internet if you're looking to work for a quality dive operation. Another problem at the moment is that staff who would normally leave for the winter and go to work in, say, Thailand are not doing it this, year - partly because the work permit is so valuable.

I'll be honest - you are here at the wrong time of year because we are about to enter a low period which will last until April. Most dive centres in Sharm have been a bit understaffed over the summer because of the work permit problem, but now they will be over-staffed during the low season.

My best advice is keep trying. Keep calling, keep visiting, make some friends and contacts. It worked for me.

Good luck,

Cheers,

C.

When the work permit thing for dive professionals was introduced in Egypt in 2009, some "prophets" here announced that the Egyptian dive industry would collapse from April 2010 on, due to subsequent lack of qualified staff.

What do these prophets say now ?

The dive industry has not collapsed nor will it - however - what I will say is this - forgive me if I repeat myself.

Here in Sharm El Sheikh, the freelance market has been severely hit. As far away as last year it was relatively easy to turn up, do a few days work, get a CDWS card and work for a bunch of different centres. I know - because last year, that is exactly what I did.

Now I am well established at my dive centre and see the opposite side of the coin and how it has affected the industry here. Since I know staff at the other big centres I know I can speak for those to some extent as well. I have contact with staff in Dahab and Marsa Alam so I know that the problem has spread but I don't know to what extent.

Instructors are not coming to Sharm looking for work because they already know about the issue with work permits. In prior years you could turn up and almost be guaranteed work, especially if you spoke more than one language fluently.

With the work permit: You need a dive centre to sponsor you to get a work permit. You are legally not allowed to work at a dive centre without a work permit. You can't get a job without a permit, you can't get a permit without a job - a classic Catch-22 situation. Some leeway is given to "trainee" staff but if you want the job and the work permit, you need to impress. Dive centres are getting job applications from people who ask if they will be given a work permit. Nobody is going to invest that time and money in somebody who might not fit in with the team, either persosally or professionally, without some form of test period. As always in the dive industry, face to face contact is hugely important, especially to big names with international reputations to protect.

We have been short staffed all summer for exactly this reason - it has been difficult to recruit quality staff and at least in our case, we will not hire people who are just going through the motions or ticking boxes. For sure other centres have resorted to that - because I see people who didn't make it at one centre working for another.

The people who traditionally left Egypt over the winter to work in other locations (it's COLD here in winter) are, this year, not leaving for a job in (eg) Thailand because they have a work permit here and are not willing to give that up and go through the hassle of re-applying, or risk losing their job because the dive centre has invested time and effort in another work permit for another instructor.

The work permit regulations were only enforced this year. In previous years, it was accepted that many dive staff were working here "illegally" but were highly valued and so therefore a tacit "gentleman's agreement" existed between authorities and employees of foreign freelance staff, probably sugared with a nice packet of non-sequential baksheesh, and everything was okay.

This year the work permit has been enforced. Staff are turned away at jetties if they don't have a licence. A few months ago, Na'ama Bay jetty police confiscated all CDWS cards of staff working on the boats that day - including egyptian nationals. They then demanded to see all equivalent work permits - which makes the inclusion of domestic staff somewhat ridiculous since they can work here anyway.

This is only the first year. Already word has got out. Next year I expect there will be fewer wandering instructors coming to sharm. We have recruited new instructors, for sure, but it has not been easy. Furthermore, dive centres that have been understaffed in the summer will find they are overstaffed for the winter, because people are hanging on to their work permits. This will make it harder for the casual applicant to find work. They will be competing against staff who have been here for *years* in some cases.

However it operates, it affects the lives of myself and my colleagues quite substantially. We have been working longer periods to compensate for the shortfall in staff, and yes, this is great for the bank manager, but not for your health.

It will not cripple the dive industry, but it may have a serious affect on it's quality. Financially, the dive industy is still very relevant to sharm, but in the ten years I have been coming here it has turned from 90% diving and 10% hot sunny vacations to 90% all inclusive free-beer package holidays and 10% diving. The clientele has changed from returning experienced divers to lots of intros and DSDs - partly down to agency marketing, mostly because it provides comission to the hotels and tour guides.

I feel this should form another thread and I feel I should be a little careful what I say but it's the truth. One positive result is that the CDWS have changed the regulations so that work permits are avaiable to foreign staff on a basis of 3 foreign work permits for every 10 egyptian staff instead of the previous 1:10.

What happens next we shall have to wait and see. I will keep people informed as and when I can. I'd also like to discuss this more privately with other instructors in the Red Sea. I love it here, and do not want to find myself out of work because of randomly implemented rules and regulations. I do not want to be an illegal alien - I believe the requirement for the work permit is all fair and square and am happy to comply with the authorities on this one.

But please, for goodness' sake, give us a break.

Cheers

C.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom