Is the material covered in the GUE Drysuit & Doubles classes also covered in Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cant speak for the drysuit, but for the doubles, which i took before GUE-F.
Most of the drills you learn in the double class are somehow included in Fundamentals too, but in less details and practice and time to tune.

I really liked my double class, and consider it as eye opener and mini fundamentals class, but if you are on tight budjet, then indeed fundamental class would be the priority.

Dive double and practice, get someone from local dir community to tell you where you stand (but make your own decision). Don't show up at the GUE-F class in doubles without a decent number of dives (=where you are somehow comfortable in doubles), and certainly without even more dives in drysuit.

Many people recommend go gue-f rec (1 tank) first and switch to double after. why not indeed, looks best approach, but if for any reasons you really want to go for the tec pass, it is worth it but requires quite a bit of practice and dives before.

Showing up for Fundies in a new to you drysuit and new to you doubles is not going to be productive. In fact its probably going to be exceedingly frustrating for you and your buddy's. I would discuss a path forward with your instructor. Something like:
  1. Drysuit
  2. Fundies in single tank
  3. Doubles with mentor
  4. Tech pass checkout for Fundies
Over the course of about 8-12 months.

Where are you in Mass? If you're within a couple of hours of Hartford, you should speak to Ed Hayes at the Scuba Shack about how to proceed. His Buoyancy I and II classes and the doubles workshop he does will really give you a good head start on Fundies.

Showing up for Fundies in a new to you drysuit and new to you doubles is not going to be productive. In fact its probably going to be exceedingly frustrating for you and your buddy's. I would discuss a path forward with your instructor. Something like:
  1. Drysuit
  2. Fundies in single tank
  3. Doubles with mentor
  4. Tech pass checkout for Fundies
Over the course of about 8-12 months.

:thumb:

None of my GUE classes spent any time on how to use a drysuit. Some aspects of using doubles were covered in both Fundies and T1.

Rjack's schedule certainly looks good to me. I'd also recommend talking with Ed Hayes. He's who I went to for Fundies. Great instructor.

I was reasonably comfortable in my DS & doubles by the time Fundies rolled around, however, our Fundies instructor offered many tips on how more effectively to dive both the DS and doubles..

I think your question is best asked to your future fundies instructor who teaches all of these classes and is thus in a better position to advise..

Have you contacted your instructor yet? I think you will find he/she is very approachable and helpful :).

What rjack said.

Above all, don't try to make a whole bunch of gear changes before the class, and hope the class will help you sort them out. Yes, the instructor can do it, but the class is designed to ADD to your skills, and you should be pretty comfortable in your equipment before you get there.

++rjack. You will be way better off getting solid in a single tank before moving to doubles. The way rjack listed is one way to do that. Taking fundies in a single tank and later doing the doubles primer is another way. There is technically some additional material in the doubles class (in the slides anyway), but I don't consider it too substantial. But the primer is a great way to work out the kinks in the doubles pretty efficiently.

I'm not quite sure what Rainer means about none of his classes spending any time on how to use a drysuit. Every Fundies class I have been involved in (including my own) spent a lot of time refining drysuit technique -- because it gives almost everyone trouble.

I'm not quite sure what Rainer means about none of his classes spending any time on how to use a drysuit. Every Fundies class I have been involved in (including my own) spent a lot of time refining drysuit technique -- because it gives almost everyone trouble.

I mean we basically didn't spend any time discussing how to use our drysuits in either Fundies or T1. It was pretty much assumed we knew how to dive them. Our issues (which were substantial) didn't relate to drysuit technique.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom