Is a drysuit and aluminum tanks a safe configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanbeing

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm presently in a wetsuit and a single aluminum, but I live in a cold area, so I'm saving for a drysuit. Just wondering if I should just go ahead and save for 2 steel tanks as well. Thanks in advance.

What kinds of diving do you want to do? For a MA (Cape Ann or Cape Cod) shore dive (almost always <40'), 80cf is PLENTY of gas. If you're comfortable carrying the extra weight (~6#), no need to get rid of your Al80 for steels.

For local boat dives, larger capacity cylinders can be nice. I was happy with singles HP100s or double LP85s (usually slightly overfilled) for my "recreational" MA boat trips.

the unsafe configuration is a wetsuit with steel doubles, particularly in freshwater because the rig will be so negative that it may become impossible for the diver to swim it up, and leads to silly-big wings and other issues caused by not having a balanced rig to begin with.

a drysuit always adds redundant buoyancy control and adds safety.

i'd blindly recommend a couple big steel doubles for single tank recreational diving -- HP119/HP130/LP95/LP104 since that'll let you max out your MDLs on EAN32 and still have more than enough gas for your buddy -- but i don't know what your SAC rate is like, how big you are, who you dive with, or where you dive...

Last edited:
I agree with Ranier, for shore dives I don't mind AL80's as I can get an hour plus on them unless it's an aggressive dive. If I were you I'd put the money towered a drysuit then when you can start saving towards tanks. Also, keep an eye on craigslist. I've found some good deals there.

It doesn't matter what type of cylinder you use, if WT is at or below 20 C, a dry suit is in order. 90% of all my dives are in a dry suit. Unless the WT is 26 or above I don't like getting wet. ANd if the air temp is cold a wet suit is also out.

Buy a drysuit, enough said. With a pack suit you can alter your underwear to match the dive conditions. They are also easier to doff and don.

Dale

In the other thread you were asking about doubles, so buying an additional AL80 with bands and manifolds is a relatively inexpensive way to start. Double AL80s trim out nicely for a lot of people too, as opposed to some of the shorter steels. Down the road you can use them for stage/deco bottles if you need bigger steels for the dives you're doing.

The only real issue with a dry suit and aluminum tanks is the extra weight you have to carry as a result of using aluminum. This adds to the weight you have to carry as a result of the dry suit and undergarments. But if you can carry the weight, there is no issue with aluminum tanks.

I wouldn't mind using AL tanks with a drysuit, if that's what I could get. Compared to some steel cylinders (LP72, LP85, HP80, HP100) your rig will have a higher land weight to compensate for the aluminum tank's bouyancy properties but that's just the name of the game.

Like lamont said, the issue comes to steel doubles in a wetsuit where, if you lost your wing at the very start of the dive when your rig is most negative, one might not be able to swim their rig up. With a drysuit and it's ability to provide some redundant bouyancy control, the likelihood of being able to swim that rig up is greatly increased.

Peace,
Greg

Dive my drysuit with aluminum tanks with no problems at all.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom