Bay Area - Knife, Shears or Z cutter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evcitor99

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently diving in Miami/Key Largo and haven't had a need for a cutting tool. I'm moving to San Francisco in March, and I've been told that it's more likely I could be caught in Kelp, weeds, or nets.

What Cutting tool should I get first? Should I just buy all three? What works best on the entanglement hazards of the Bay Area?

I understand this may be a bit repetitive, but thank you in advance for your input.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved to allow local responses

I'm currently diving in Miami/Key Largo and haven't had a need for a cutting tool. I'm moving to San Francisco in March, and I've been told that it's more likely I could be caught in Kelp, weeds, or nets.

What Cutting tool should I get first? Should I just buy all three? What works best on the entanglement hazards of the Bay Area?

I understand this may be a bit repetitive, but thank you in advance for your input.

I do the blunted steak knife. I haven't been entangled underwater. I've come across fishing line but a simple tug usually breaks that. I'm not sure any cutting device would really help with kelp. Underwater it is fairly easy to avoid getting tangled. My scooter gets tangled in kelp more than I do. Most of the time it is just one strand that catches some edge. On the surface is where I've had my kelp problems. For that it is just a matter of going slow and moving it out of your way. It is fairly easy to break it just by bending it at a hard angle.

I have dove the Pacific coast most of my life and have never felt the need to cut kelp. Depending on where you dive anywhere in the world, monofilament fishing line is the most significant entanglement risk in my view. I have never considered cutting any entanglement larger than ¼" line, even on commercial dives. Large stuff is too easy to just unhook yourself from.

There are lots of solutions, but I have been impressed with the carbon fiber double-bladed Z-knife.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/knives-cutting-tools/315577-great-z-knife.html

For north of the bay, there are Abalone to consider. Most people use an iron or this delicacy, freediving only, and a special permit is required. You can also use an Ab iron for rock scallops, though a 1970s-era big heavy knife is also a good choice. Welcome to the left coast.

One small knife and one pair of EMT shears. You can pick up the EMT shears for about $5/pair. When the rivet rusts through, throw them away and buy another pair.

Kelp breaks in half, much like a cooked carrot. Snap it instead of cutting.

The EMT shears will actually cut a penny in half. :wink:

alright, so I'll probably buy a relatively inexpensive set of all three then. After dropping the money for the BC and Reg I suppose a few extra bucks on safety equipment isn't a bad idea. Thanks for clarifying the entanglement issues.

I haven't looked into the abalone thing yet, but I'm always looking for more hobbies.

One of these.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 67
After dropping the money for the BC and Reg I suppose a few extra bucks on safety equipment isn't a bad idea.

This is a great forum to learn a bit about our local SF diving environment. Hope to see you around on this forum, between now and you're move. I grew up in Miami so know the water in South Fla is much different than here. Cold water kelp diving can be beautiful, but it will be an adjustment after diving bathtub warm clear water in So Fla :).

Here is a good write up on how to safely dive kelp: Kelp Diving Information.

When you first arrive, it's best to dive with a local who will show you around to some of our great dive sites and orient you to our local hazards.

Just make sure your new drysuit has pockets to keep your safety gear. :devil: Like your SMB, whistle, shears etc. Blunt tip steak type knife mounted to the front of your waist strap works great for cutting and can be accessed with either hand easily.

Back
Top Bottom