Bay Islands Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm headed to Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras in October to do my divemaster course. I've heard that it's the rainy season there until October. I wonder if this will affect the diving? Also, are those sand flies and mosquitos as bad as everyone says? And are they worse during the rainy season? Should I worry about Malaria? :blfish:

WE went and stayed at the Mango Inn. Loved it. This was July 11-17-03. No real problems with bugs, just the no-seeums on the first day and then no problem, they seemed to leave us alone after their first bite. Spent most of the time underwater anyway.
I love the diving, saw a green moray eel at the location called "The Maze". Beautiful dive, and this eel was HUGE! It had to be 10-12 feet long. Ask Eva at theUtila Dive Center about it. She was our DM and she saw it also. This thing was the most amazing creature I've seen so far. It was at 37', but I don't remember which bouy we were at. Did you see the movie "The Deep"? Well this eel was almost as big. Scared the crap out of me at first, then I just hung out and watched in amazement.
Good luck and enjoy the island lifestyle, Coco Loco's is the DM hangout at night. Quite the atmosphere.

It would be highly unusual if you didn't experience heavy rains. The rainy season is from mid-to-late September through late November. You will be there in the prime rainy season. You will wonder if it is ever going to rain. You will feel as if nothing ever gets dries. You are in the Bay Islands - get over it and greet each new, albeit rainy day with excitement and contentment, knowing that you are in the Bay Islands.

Some people will suggest that the no-see-ums are less of a problem during the rainy season. This is mostly wishful thinking. No-see-ums are simply a given in the Bay Islands. The only real issue is how sensitive you will be. Some people will tell you how they never got bite or just got bite once (i.e., see below). People vary in the degree to which bugs find them (CO2 is thought to be attractant, so something as simple as breathing patterns could be an issue) and the degree to which they respond to bug bites (little, if any response to major welts). When in doubt, assume that you will have many bites and will itch like crazy. Therefore, brings lots to DEET-based products and, if you are medically ok for such things, OTC products such as Benadryl and Calamine lotion. If you are one of the lucky folks that doesn't react, thank your lucky stars and pass the products on to friends who didn't bring enough.

Malaria? Locals approach malaria in terms of not "if I get it", but "when I do get it." And it is nasty. Some people will do drugs like chloroquine on a prophylactic basis. Speak to your doctor re what's right for you.

Yes, the Bay Islands do have their drawbacks, but there are few places that can compare with the positive features of these islands! Enjoy and let us know how you are doing.

Thanks shocktrtmnt and Allen G! I just spoke with another source at the Utila Dive Centre who says that the rainy season doesn't officially start until late November and goes until February! I guess I'll just have to stay under the water to stay out of the rain! And hopefully the sun will shine once or twice while I'm there!

And I will check out Malaria prevention asap!

My first trip to Roatan was in October and it rained 24/7...literally. It had little effect on our diving except to lower the viz from some run-off but topside it was miserable. And unfortunately we couldn't stay underwater all the time. Our clothes never dried. My hair wouldn't dry between shampooing at 5pm and going to bed at 10pm unless I used a blow drier! But the worst was the damp sheets!

Other than that....it was the start of our love affair with CCV Resort!

We visited Roatan in May 2003. No see um bites are real nasty on some people. We had pretty good results with Avon Skin so Soft in addition to taking b vitamins and above mentioned remedies. Avoid direct contact with sandy areas chaise lounges etc. Be consistent in your prevention efforts and you should be OK. Verygood diving. Not much else. Have fun.

I just returned from Roatan this past Monday, and although it's the low season, most of the lightening was off in the distance and not a concern for our night dives. The no-see-ums ate me alive, but then every animal that likes human flesh seems to find me. Otherwise, great diving - vis 150' and water 84 degrees F. Have fun!

I just got back on Sat, that cloud wall in the distance most of the week was pretty cool.

As far as the no seeums are concerned, I did not notice in the much of the way of bites till I started comming home. When I got home I actually counted the number of bites and the grand total was 157. I think that someone emptied a can of the critters in my bed the last night.

Rick

I just got back on Sat, that cloud wall in the distance most of the week was pretty cool.

As far as the no seeums are concerned, I did not notice in the much of the way of bites till I started comming home. When I got home I actually counted the number of bites and the grand total was 157. I think that someone emptied a can of the critters in my bed the last night.

Rick

DAN and the CDC both suggest malaria preventative for the Bay Islands. The recommended med is a once a week thing starting one week prior to one month after, and I'm told it's not bad about side effets. I didn't have any.

I kept insect repellents in my room and my dive locker. The CDC suggests the strong stuff, I think because it lasts longer, but divng washes it off, so - spray frequently. Especially on your legs for the noseums, sand flies, whatever they really are.

I wouldn't plan a trip there in rainy/hurrican season, but I bet it'll be okay. When you get there, find soneone who's lived there for years and keep in touch with him if things get nasty.

:cheers: Don

Back
Top Bottom