Any way to transfer this yscuba SLAM cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedCash02

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I haven't paid much attention to scuba certification agencies and missed the boat on the demise of YMCA scuba. I always hated that my rescue cert. from YSCUBA just said 'SLAM' and not rescue. A lot of people I encountered didn't know what it was or what level it was. The problem is only going to get worse now that the name YSCUBA is gone.

I know the YMCA says they'll handle lost cert. cards for the foreseeable future, but who knows how long that will last and how easy it will be. I saw the website they have now and it's a joke. Unsigned SSL certificates and some random URL doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I feel like I need to cancel my credit card after I request a new card on that page.

All your official correspondence admits that you are the current form of YSCUBA. You made provisions for all of the professionals in YSCUBA to transfer to SEI, so I'm hoping you extended that courtesy to the people that supported your organization. I don't mind paying some fees or whatever, but right now I just feel like I'm getting screwed for not supporting the PADI empire.

Maybe there's already a thread about this, but I couldn't find it.

SEI Diving essentially took over the YSCUBA standards under a different administrative structure. We honor all YSCUBA certifications, including replacing lost ones, from Open Water through Instructor Trainer. If you want to discuss anything email me at dmarelli@scientificdiving.com.

As Dan stated we can and do support all levels of ymca certification. Replacing your card is no big deal. Take him up on his offer to help you out. I can also handle it as well as sei hq. Even though we did indeed evolve from the y program we are not them. I was in the same boat as you. Perhaps even under more acrimonious conditions. I was one of the last silver ymca instructors to be certified by them in 2008. 2 months after receiving my credentials they stopped supporting the program
Talk about feeling screwed! I've been with sei from the beginning. I have found more support, encouragement, and a sense of family among sei leadership and divers than any other organization I have been associated with in or out of diving. Rest assured- we got your back.

Thank you both for your quick replies. I've emailed Dan and look forward to having an SEI card. I thought my YSCUBA SLAM course was excellent, so it's good to know SEI will continue to uphold those standards.

On a side note: Jim, I grew up near Canonsburg. What I wouldn't give to have a sundae at Sarris Candies right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom