SM Take 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DwayneJ

Contributor
Reaction score
I have abandoned my plans to use an OMS Profile SMS and have decided to take the Hollis SMS100 route. I will keep my OMS gear for BM diving. I got hands on today with an SMS100 and was quite impressed.

I chose the double bladder model only because I have some flexibility whether to go double bladder or single bladder (remove right hose and close off with dump valve)

I ordered some missing bits and pieces (chokers, modular valve etc) from DiveRite so I should have everything together in the next two weeks... Give me time to get over this silly Whooping Cough which is going around like wildfire.

The good news is I have a local Tech Diver/Instructor who wants to work with me so all I need to do is get gear, get some pool time, then get in the ocean.

I have been diving HP120's and HP100 and plan to double up with two HP120's.

Dwayne

I have abandoned my plans to use an OMS Profile SMS and have decided to take the Hollis SMS100 route. I will keep my OMS gear for BM diving. I got hands on today with an SMS100 and was quite impressed.

I chose the double bladder model only because I have some flexibility whether to go double bladder or single bladder (remove right hose and close off with dump valve)

I ordered some missing bits and pieces (chokers, modular valve etc) from DiveRite so I should have everything together in the next two weeks... Give me time to get over this silly Whooping Cough which is going around like wildfire.

The good news is I have a local Tech Diver/Instructor who wants to work with me so all I need to do is get gear, get some pool time, then get in the ocean.

I have been diving HP120's and HP100 and plan to double up with two HP120's.

Dwayne

:worthless: :D

:snicker: and the Nomad system is tried and true.

So is my franken rig.

There are a lot of complaints about the Nomad. It was the "first" commercial solution, but that doesn't make it the best. :D

So is my franken rig.

There are a lot of complaints about the Nomad. It was the "first" commercial solution, but that doesn't make it the best. :D

Frivolity aside . . . I went for tried and true because nothing I see (vidos) in the Razor, Hollis, or OMS suit my style. None of the people in the video are little and wearing numerous layers of neoprene. I do see people in drysuits wearing the Nomad.

I am not disparaging your choice... but like everything out there, some people see good and bad in it. Most people look at my modified Zeagle Express and simply shake their heads. So what? I love it! I will be at DEMA this week and I can't wait to see all the new offerings that will be there. My next addition is going to be a can light on each tank. This last dive I hooked a lot of my reels to each tank and LOVED it.

I have a bunch of OMS gear and my IQ Pack is virtually identical to the Dive Rite Transpac. If I have issues with my SMS100, I will either build a hybrid system using my IQ Pack and various bits and pieces or replace the IQ Pack with a Nomad System... Hands on is important to me and today I spent a good 2 hours going over the various features of the SMS100... It fitted like a glove in the store.

Watching you build and tune your system leads me to believe I will go through the same fit and tune exercise so I'm certainly not expecting it to all work on day one.

"Stuff" generally tends to fit and work for me but I will make sure I take video in the pool to validate to you all everything looks ok (I might be oblivious).

I am interested in regulator mounting and plan to try various methods including Netdocs double necklace. I do want to keep my right tank regulator configuration "standard".

Thanks all and once I am in the pool, I will share with you all the gory details.

Dwayne

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom