Dive Report: St. Andrews State Park 07 Nov 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a bit behind on my reports lately but I thought I'd try and catch up on at least one. Hetland, Recharge and I went to PCB and dove St. Andrews Sate Park. We were just diving on an incoming tide and didn't have a ton of hope for great viz, but were hoping for at least 10 feet. :idk:

As we looked doen at the water we were real happy to see nice clean water in what was left of the Kiddie pool, as with a strong North Wind it was all but empty with only a very narrow area to crawl into the channel still exposed.

So as we geared up we were very anxious to see what was in store for us. We were not to be dissapointed as the viz had to be pushing 25 feet at times. We took our time on the first dive as we made our way North after tying in our dive flag. Hetland didn't take his camera so Recharge and I were left to photo duty as we crawled our way along about mid-way down the rocks (20-30 foot range). The current was fairly strong and made for some tough going at times, but a little cardio workout is good for the soul!

I got quite a nice variety of shots mainly focusing on my Macro stuff and was pleased to find a couple of new comers to my every increasing list of newbies to the photo album. I'm going to need some help idenifying this Mollusk as I've gone through my books a couple of times now with no real clue being offered. It is a fabulous species though and we saw probably 6-7 different ones on the two dives. Here are some pics:

PB078749.jpg

PB078707.jpg

PB078709.jpg

PB078705.jpg

PB078708.jpg

PB078763.jpg

We spent about 1 hour on the first dive and I logged a min temp of 72* with a max depth of 60 feet.

We turned around for dive number two because that wind was Ca-ca-ca-ca-Cold! On the Wet Wetsuits! So after about 20 minutes we were back in the warm water and smiling again!

This dive we made a mad dash toward the gulf and the fishing line grave yard! We went out into the channel a bit to look around at some of the "Islands in the sand" and look for bigger shells that may be empty and we managed to collect about 4 or 5 pounds of lead sinkers from one sopt about 3 foot square. I didn't take many photos this dive as we were mainly doing our cardio against the current. But we did manage to get some nice shots of a Scorpion Fish that was very well hidden on top of a rock.

PB078752.jpg

PB078755.jpg

The second dive was 42 minutes to a max depth of 72 feet and a min temp of 72*.

How about a fish ID on this one.... I know it's a bit of a crappy shot, but it's all I have. It looked really slim lined like a Slippery Dick is shaped but the color is all wrong.

PB078726.jpg

I vote for warty slug or nudibranch (awesome pics btw).

The lead was split into two piles. About 30% was unusable as fishing tackle. I set that aside for eventual meltdown into scuba weights. The remaining bit will be parceled out to some fishing friends. It weighed out at an amazing 10 pounds!

Fantastic pics of that nudibranch and a great find!

Back
Top Bottom