First Reported PCB Lionfish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They've been sighted off the coast of AL and LA already, so no suprise they are everywhere in between.

Sad......but as long as they don't adapt to fresh water we will be ok :)

I know they are good at adapting to colder water....but if I see one 500 feet back in Jackson Blue, I think I am going to exit the cave immediately!

Sad......but as long as they don't adapt to fresh water we will be ok :)

I know they are good at adapting to colder water....but if I see one 500 feet back in Jackson Blue, I think I am going to exit the cave immediately!

Not me. I'm going to start looking for the passage that runs all the way to the gulf!

I've been in the water with lionfish and they aren't aggressive.

I ain't scard of em'....heck I sellem! I just will assume I am narc'd if I see them back in JB. I might that Tri-mix class sooner Rob if I do see one!:D

Not me. I'm going to start looking for the passage that runs all the way to the gulf!

I've been in the water with lionfish and they aren't aggressive.

The problem with lionfish is that they eat EVERYTHING that they can fit in their mouths, up to 3/4 of their own size. Worse, a female lionfish can release 30,000 eggs every 4 days year round. This rate of breeding is what truly gives them the advantage over all other local fish.

Not only will they eventually impact our fishing by competing with juvenile grouper and snapper (and ALL other important game fish) for food they will also eat them and simply out breed them as well.

Imagine releasing a pack of African Hyenas in Yellowstone National Park… not only would they soon decimate the local deer, elk and bison populations they would also beat out the wolves at the same time and wipe them out as well. They simply do not belong here.

Ask the folks in the Bahamas, once you start seeing lionfish on your reefs and wrecks it won’t be long before that is the ONLY fish you will see.

Kill them all, kill them now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom