Want to do a SCUBA beach cleanup day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I wanted to get your thoughts on this. I want to organize a day when a bunch of us get together at a beach and do a couple dives with the intention of picking up trash, underwater. I'm hoping to get at least 20 divers together to do this and do it sometime in January or February. Afterwards we can all go to a pub and grab some beers (I'll order milk).

I know that there's an annual beach cleanup day and apparently divers do this at that time as well, but anyone up for another one? Like the ScubaBoard California Kelp Divers NorCal Dive for Trash Event (SBCAKDNCDFTE) :wink:

I've emailed Chuck Tribolet and he says it's feasible. Wharf 2 needs the most cleanup and if I can clear it with the Harbormaster we should be good to go.

Last edited:
yep, we always enjoy this stuff. Could probably score a few divers to help.

We do it pretty much every time we dive from a beach or most anywhere. I was on Angel Island hiking on Sunday and kept putting trash into my brothers backpack, until it was overfilled.

Why make it just on a special event day? Pick up trash every day of the week, and call it your good deed for the day!

We have done organized cleanup dives at places like Berryessa and pulled enough trash to fill the back of a stake bed truck.

Good for you to offer to organize an event. If everybody just did a little the difference would be remarkable.

We do it pretty much every time we dive from a beach or most anywhere. I was on Angel Island hiking on Sunday and kept putting trash into my brothers backpack, until it was overfilled.

Why make it just on a special event day? Pick up trash every day of the week, and call it your good deed for the day!

We have done organized cleanup dives at places like Berryessa and pulled enough trash to fill the back of a stake bed truck.

Good for you to offer to organize an event. If everybody just did a little the difference would be remarkable.

I agree. This event though is actually part of a class that I'm taking, and basically we have to devise a project in which we enroll people from the community to participate. My idea was to do trash diving. I collect trash by myself anyway, but the class requires community participation. I think it'd be fun and as a newbie diver it would be awesome to get to know more divers.

I think it's great. Keep in mind as you're planning that we will also need surface support, bags of trash fill quickly and you can't keep going in to shore to dump your trash. The berryessa cleanup we had kayakers and boats that would go from diver to diver trading full mesh trash bags for empty ones, heavy stuff, the boat would drop off a rope, diver would attach rope to object and boat would pull it in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom