Diving Louisiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudchick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've never been to Louisiana and my brother lives there now. He doesn't dive but I definitly do and was wondering where to dive. Is the Gulf cleaned up from the spill, mor or less? Any good shops that run trips? I've heard of Flower Garden but know nothing else. Is there stuff to see close to land(1 or two hour boat ride) or are you better off taking a day or two out? Maybe I can get him to start diving.....

Thanks in advance,
mudchick.

Low vis lake dives on good days, long boat rides out into the gulf, or drive to AL/FL for diving there.

Bugman hit the nail on the head. Most of the people who dive the rigs spearfish off of private boats. I just drive over to FL/AL and dive.

The question is.....where in Louisiana are you going to be. Some cool historical diving on the East Pearl, depending on the conditions, 10-15' vis on old structures. Even if it is 5-10' it is pretty cool to see and touch some history. Other than that, AL and FLA is your best bet.

The Mississippi River dumps it's massive amounts of silt on the Eastern edge of Louisiana's coast. The silt leaves zero viz all along the Louisiana coast to 40 or 50 miles out. Platform diving is great if you can get out there, even if you are not fishing. Unfortunately, there are no commercial operations (I've never heard of any) that go out there. That's why our friends with offshore boats are so dear to us.

The Flower Gardens are about 100 miles south of East Texas. There are no more commercial trips scheduled for this year. I was scheduled to be on the last boat of the year, but the trip was canceled due to unfavorable seas. I've been told by people who have been there that The Flower Gardens are a fabulous place to dive.

As far as the oil goes, I'm not aware of any problems anywhere along the Gulf Coast. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me, no doubt.

The question is.....where in Louisiana are you going to be. Some cool historical diving on the East Pearl, depending on the conditions, 10-15' vis on old structures. Even if it is 5-10' it is pretty cool to see and touch some history. Other than that, AL and FLA is your best bet.

I would like to test these waters. We need to schedule a trip. I have had many dives in FL witht less viz than that.

We will have to do that then. Are ya'll set for cool water? Maybe after Thanksgiving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom