DIR and computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK

Reaction score
Given the back and forth in a different thread I thought I'd start a another thread to discuss the reasons behind the thinking of not using a computer. Let me make two disclaimers in the opening paragraph. 1) I'll be happy to answer any questions either publicly or privately, but what I won't do is engage in an overt flame war over the issue. I'll lay out our thinking, I'll entertain different points of view, but I will not denigrate the process with abject banter. 2) The context with which we approach this issue is from the perspective of efficiency, I'll specifically avoid buzz words like "right" -v- "wrong" and I'll stipulate that either way you approach the issue you aren't likely to die. In other words, the " Do it this way or you'll die" allegation is beyond the scope of this analysis.

That being said, our thinking is that many [not all], but many divers become reliant on a device that could fail. To the extent that device fails then the diver is left without essential diving information. Moreover, as agencies start to move towards eliminating tables from the curriculm in favor of teaching computers it's starts the slippery slope downward. Would you prefer your child never learn basic math in school just because they have the ability to use a calculator??

Secondly, the way we approach a dive is to teach divers to turn their brain on underwater not to turn it off and rely on devices. We try to build in a protocol called situational awareness, which basically is taking 5 minute snap shots of your dive, including max depth, average depth. Furthermore, computers eliminate from many pre-dive planning and the analysis and impact of various mixes and profiles. Many believe that decompression theory is an exact science in terms of depth and time. In other words, many don't recognize the benefits associated with deep stops, or the importance of shaping the ascent profile [or "deco" curve]. These critical pieces of information are accumulated over time when a diver takes note of his dive profile, generally speaking many divers simply look at the pixals on their computer in terms of whether they are in the green, yellow or red and then base the repetitive dive plan on pixals. Obviously, if the computer then fails, the diver will generally lack the wherewithal to continue diving.

Thirdly, many divers are sold on the computer as a way to extend bottom times. That is partially true when the choice is limited to tables -v- computers. However that is only part of the equation. To the extent that the algorithm in the computer is set to a conservative gradient to provide a certain amount of "padding" more often then not you wind up with modest levels added bottom times.. For certain some models allow for the adjustement in gradient factors, but the fact is that many lack sufficient knowledge to understand the impact of the change in gradient factors.. The concept of course is that by the "padding" you reduce the very benefit they purport to give you.

Next, recently you've seen a trend towards RGBM based algorithms, but primarily most in-water computers use a Buhlman based algorithm set to 65% - 80% gradient factor. We refer to Buhlman as a "bend and treat" model. What we mean by that is that it tries to get you shallow as quickly as allowable [60' per minute] when a given tissue group reaches it's M-value, and then keeps you shallow to allow for elimination of accumulated nitrogen.. Buhlman specifically notes in his studies that advent of microbubbles but bases his algorithm strictly on saturation and desaturation of N2, accordingly he ignores bubble formation. As such when you attempt a hybrid of bubble mechanics and free phase ascents, Buhlman will unnecessarily penalize you because you incorporated deep-stops and/or used a 30 fpm ascent rate. This of course will generate longer decompression then actually necessary.

Nothwithstanding the foregoing, as diver's progress into helium based diving few in-water computers provide for gas switches, proper algorithms and are by-in-large cost prohibitive, usually in the $1,000+ range. We feel that money can be better spent elsewhere whether it be on proper equipment or training that will allow a diver to compute these calcualtions without the need for devices that can fail..

Hopefully that more fully explains our thinking, but I remain available to answer questions consistent with the disclaimer in the opening paragraph..

Regards

Just to play devil's advocate here...
Whats to say that your pressure and depth gauges won't fail?
Would it not be best to have an analogue and digital gauges to give you the most redundancy???
Personally I can't really afford a computer at the moment - I have other items I would rather purchase first - but when I got certified (in '93-94) we never did anything with a computer.
My buddy has a wrist computer which compliments his normal gauges - you have to admit though that the dive logs are pretty cool...
:D

I beleive that part opf the 'holistic' DIR system is that you have a buddy. thus when either of you have an equipment failure of that type, your dive is over, and you use your buddy as a back-up timer/depth gauge.

The other option of course would be to carry back-ups of your own.

to consider is this...

I had to pull a diver out of a bad situation she got herself into as a result of a lack of understanding of what the computer is actually doing. Perhaps this will be addressed as agencies "teach" computers. In this case, as a relatively new diver, she dropped to 120 ft. (off the agreed on plan of 80'), and did not look at her computer often enough. It was her first dive to that depth (first deeper than 60') and she had no idea how fast her computer would put her in deco at that depth. If you do not have a good idea of at least the tables, and at best the theories BEHIND both tables and computers, you cannot even effectively use a computer. Not ot beat dead horse, but even a 5 minute interval at 120' on air is not enough for a newish diver to check air and NDL, UNLESS they understand the principles and physics behind the calculations.

In this case, I do not think the issue was because of not diving the plan...I believe she did not understand WHY there is a plan, and WHY the plan is monitored, either with the computer between her ears or the one on her wrist.

BTW-isn't it SOP to have a redundant depth gauge and timer?

Ken

Appreciate the explanation of this aspect of DIR philosophy. I had wondered what the reasons were. Although I don't dive DIR, I have buddies who do. Based on their comments, I'm sure I could learn quite a bit worth incorporating into my own diving technique. I always try to listen to new inforemation and then decide whether to incorporate it or not depending on my own diving strategy and 41 years of experience UW.

As a largely solo diver doing underwater videography, I rely extensively on my computer... a fairly conservative model. I may do six cold-water dives in a day and am glad that I have it. If it were to go out on me, I would abort the remaining dives for the day unless I planned a known profile for me (such as shallow water) and knew it was well within my limits.

I do not consider myself a highly proficient technical diver. I dive to do my research and underwater videography (OK, so I also enjoy it immensely but in a "Puritanical" society I'm not supposed to admit that).

I agree with MHK that total reliance on a computer allows too many to turn their brains off. Goodness knows I see enough divers here that have flipped the OFF switch when diving and seem oblivious to the presence of others, their position in the water column, etc.

Dr. Bill

I rarely carry backup gauges. I have them but it's just more junk to carry so I usually don't.

If you dive a computer and mostly pay attention to the displayed NDL, you are foobar if the computer quits. OTOH, if you know what your profile has been up to the point when your bottom timer quits (and this is the basis for your planning) all you're lacking is current depth information and you can get that from your buddy. And...you don't have to sit out the rest of the day.

boney once bubbled...
Just to play devil's advocate here...
Whats to say that your pressure and depth gauges won't fail?
Would it not be best to have an analogue and digital gauges to give you the most redundancy???
Personally I can't really afford a computer at the moment - I have other items I would rather purchase first - but when I got certified (in '93-94) we never did anything with a computer.
My buddy has a wrist computer which compliments his normal gauges - you have to admit though that the dive logs are pretty cool...
:D

I'm not sure I understand your question, but let me see if I have it correctly. What would loosing your SPG have to do with your computer?? As for depth gauges let me speak to how we approach our dive planning:

1) You primary SPG is in your head, and you should always know within a 100 or 200 psi how much gas you have left. Your SPG is your back-up..

2) If you primary depth gauge fails while diving within the ethos of team diving your buddy has his gauge and thus that becomes your back-up..

Hope that helps..

It's been a nice discussion so far!

I use a computer (Sunto Cobra) with the RGBM model (or at least it claims to), but I don't turn off my brain when I use it.

I believe that every diver should learn the tables and the theory behind them. It isn't all that complicated and it clues you in to situations such as the 120 ft descent described above. I also believe that kids should learn basic arithmetic by hand and not use a calculator until they can demonstrate some proficiency. That said, I don't advocate someone balance the checkbook by hand, and by the same token it's convenient to let the computer track the actual depth and time every five seconds or so. It makes a great dive log.

The computer displays both depth and bottom time continuously so I can monitor it myself. When you plan your dives the no-deco time is always greater than the planned bottom time anyway, so it is more of a backup or "nice to know" number. What I find more interesting is the "remaining air time" number it displays. For me it acts like the current mpg display I saw in a moving truck I rented once. The number encourages me to slow down and relax to get the most from my tank. I still monitor the actual pressure left as it would be turning off my brain to rely on the time guestimate (especially as it is quite conservative, dropping quickly when I inflate the BC and only slowly coming back up after). Another nice feature of the computer is the compact display. I can monitor gas pressure, depth, max depth, and BT in a quick look at one instrument.

Once I'm out of the water I use the dive plan function to work out my pressure group based on the the bottom time it gives me at given depths. That way if it did go belly up on the SI I can switch to the tables for the next dive.

Likewise, if it died mid-dive I have the max depth in my head from having monitored the computer, and I know the approximate time. I can get a more accurate time from my buddy after we hit the surface.

It doesn't hurt to use technology if you know the how and why behind its workings and monitor it with your brain. My computer doesn't hide any of the guage information, so it's there for me to use during the dive. I believe it's there along side the no-deco bar for a reason and those who ignore it aren't making full use of the tool.

Computers allow people to stop thinking, but they don't force anyone to. It is a training issue. If the agencies taught the tables and theory before computer use, and gave computer failure questions then divers would be trained to use but not abuse computers.

The key is to use all the information the computer gives you (not just the cute bar display) and also the computer between your ears. It's a dangerous practice to turn that off when you aren't safely in bed.

David

DSJ once bubbled...

Once I'm out of the water I use the dive plan function to work out my pressure group based on the the bottom time it gives me at given depths.

How do you get the pressure group?

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
I beleive that part opf the 'holistic' DIR system is that you have a buddy. thus when either of you have an equipment failure of that type, your dive is over, and you use your buddy as a back-up timer/depth gauge.

The other option of course would be to carry back-ups of your own.

Of course, if your buddy has back up instrumuntation, it could include a computer as well.

Back
Top Bottom