BP/W..Where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm posting this in the DIR forum because eventually I'm going to take a DIRF class. I've read a lot about DIR and I like the DIR approach to diving.
I plan on getting into cave diving and possibly deep tech diving in the not so distant future. I want to buy a BP/W very soon and am a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

For the wing...how much lift do I really need? What's a good company for quality wings? For reference, I wear six lbs of weight in a 3mm wetsuit diving an AL80 tank. In diving doubles I'd likely be using 2 x LP95's. I saw one rig Golem makes w/ a wing that has 55lbs of lift that has a build in STA, which I like because I will still do reef dives with single tanks and would prefer if I didn't have to use two separate wings.

SS or Aluminum backplate? I'm leaning toward aluminum because it's cheaper, but more importantly because I don't think I need the extra weight..don't see myself owning or using a drysuit in the near future, probably no more than a 5mm+hood.

Thanks for any input!

You need 2 seperate wings.

18-25lb would be good for your wetsuit and AL80
48-60lb would be good for a drysuit + lp95s

In a drysuit you'll need alot more lead. You'll probably end up with 2 plates, one Ali one SS. I'd get the Ali plate to go with your wetsuit & AL80 diving for now. Down the road see how thick an undergarment you end up with and how much ballast you need for the drysuit and get a plate with that in mind.

Plates and wings are a fraction of the cost of actually doing the dives. If they seem too expensive you need to rethink whether you can afford to do cave & tech training and diving.

Call Tobin at Deep Sea Supply.

He'll steer you right.

I'm posting this in the DIR forum because eventually I'm going to take a DIRF class. I've read a lot about DIR and I like the DIR approach to diving.
I plan on getting into cave diving and possibly deep tech diving in the not so distant future. I want to buy a BP/W very soon and am a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

For the wing...how much lift do I really need? What's a good company for quality wings? For reference, I wear six lbs of weight in a 3mm wetsuit diving an AL80 tank. In diving doubles I'd likely be using 2 x LP95's. I saw one rig Golem makes w/ a wing that has 55lbs of lift that has a build in STA, which I like because I will still do reef dives with single tanks and would prefer if I didn't have to use two separate wings.

SS or Aluminum backplate? I'm leaning toward aluminum because it's cheaper, but more importantly because I don't think I need the extra weight..don't see myself owning or using a drysuit in the near future, probably no more than a 5mm+hood.

Thanks for any input!

Avoid the temptation to try and "future proof" your self by purchasing a "do it all" BP&W now.

Many of the advantages of a BP&W, streamlining, ease of venting etc. will be defeated by using a doubles wing with a single tank.

Wing selection is largely a function of the buoyancy of your exposure suit.

Do you know what exposure suit you will be using for the much longer / deeper / colder dives typical of doubles?

My advice is to get a good single rig now, that's appropriate for the the diving you will be doing in the foreseeable future.

Let me know if you'd like some help navigating the maze of choices.

Tobin

Last edited:
For reference, I wear six lbs of weight in a 3mm wetsuit diving an AL80 tank. QUOTE]

So if you get a 5 or 6 pound SS backplate, you won't have to carry any extra weight with a 3mm wetsuit ?
And if you get a drysuit, you'll 5 or 6 pounds ahead of the game? Is this the question?

Thanks for the replies everyone, I now understand why I will definitely need two separate wings for single and double tank diving. I'm thinking an aluminum backplate for now, because with a SS for single tank diving I'd be 12-14# negative starting my dive with a steel tank. So for now, all I really need is a BP, harness, and then a single tank and doubles wing and I can just swap out the wing as needed right?

Where do DIR divers put: safety sausages for a drift dive, small flashlights, backup masks, etc?

Where do DIR divers put: safety sausages for a drift dive, small flashlights, backup masks, etc?

Back-up lights are usually clipped to the D-rings on the chest, everything else goes in pockets on the thighs of your exposure suit. You can add them to wet or dry suits. I like the large Halcyon pockets myself. If you don't want to add pockets, another option is neoprene shorts with pockets attached which you can wear over your exposure suit.

Back-up lights are usually clipped to the D-rings on the chest, everything else goes in pockets on the thighs of your exposure suit. You can add them to wet or dry suits. I like the large Halcyon pockets myself. If you don't want to add pockets, another option is neoprene shorts with pockets attached which you can wear over your exposure suit.

To expand a bit on Ron's post: there is also an easy way think about organizing pockets when you get them (be it Halcyon, DR, X-Shorts, whatever): "common use" items: SMB/Reel, spare bolt snaps/double enders, etc go in your left pocket whereas "emergency/uncommon use" items go in the right pocket. That's so you can reach your emergency items while keeping your light in place on your left hand for passive or active communication whereas items in the left pocket will require you to either clip your light off or place it in a temporary right-hand hold to get those items.

Oh ya, and bungee is your friend in pockets. Clip stuff off, or you may find it missing some day.

Peace,
Greg

I saw one rig Golem makes w/ a wing that has 55lbs of lift that has a build in STA, which I like because I will still do reef dives with single tanks and would prefer if I didn't have to use two separate wings.

None of Golem doubles wings (which 55lbs is) have STA. Only the single tank wings have built in STA.

As Tobin says. There really is not a BP/wing setup that would be streamlined and worked for both single tank diving and technical doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom