Anyone here dive with Diving Attitude/MV Exocet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HamataBound

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello,

Thinking of booking a liveaboard in Egypt. I loved diving with Aquarius and they recommended The Exocet boat but I can not seem to find any reviews or postings online about the boat. Can anyone offer some advice?

Hi,
I suppose you have seen the two links here:
http://www.divingattitude.com/default.aspx
Diving Attitude - Les croisières - Egypte - Moyen-Orient - Les plus beaux voyages de plongée - Voyage plongée et îles de rêve avec Ultramarina
Found one review on the french speaking diver forum:
http://www.plongeur.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50513
(the reviewer was on his own, he says the boat is very comfortable and he got on fine with the other (french) divers onboard , he speaks highly of the crew, was pleased with the diving and generally thought it was a great trip)

I can't speak from experience fo being on board... but I see the Exocet quite frequently around Sharm.

My questions is: why would somebody name a boat after a missile designed to sink boats? That's a bit like naming an Ocean Liner "Iceberg" :D

Cheers

C.

...My questions is: why would somebody name a boat after a missile designed to sink boats? That's a bit like naming an Ocean Liner "Iceberg" :D
Well, there are fancy windsurfing boards branded "Exocet," and a typface (font). My bet is that it's just one of those neat sounding words that has a "fast" feel - sort of a "let's get going" word - that a boat owner picked out of thin air rather than having any relation to the missile. Totally irrelevant to the quality question either way :)
Rick

My questions is: why would somebody name a boat after a missile designed to sink boats? That's a bit like naming an Ocean Liner "Iceberg" :D

An Exocet is a flying fish (Exocoetus Volitans) that appeared on Earth very, very long before the French missile. The missile was named after the fish because both are sea-skimming.

Independently from the person who wrote the report (in the French forum plongeur.com) quoted above by diverLux, a French friend of mine who did a live-aboard on this boat last year tells me that the MV Exocet was (I quote) "an excellent safari boat".

Last edited:
begin :hijack:
An Exocet is a flying fish (Exocoetus Volitans) ... The missile was named after the fish because both are sea-skimming...
That's great info, and answers a long standing question. I'd wondered where they came up with that name way back when the missile first came out, during my navy days.
Thanks,
Rick :)
end :hijack:

Yeah I'm sorry uncle Ricky - did not mean to hijack the thread - hopefully someone will post some useful information here sooner or later. I also did not have to look anything up on Wikipedia.

More relevantly - as I say - no experience on board - but she looks beautiful from the outside :D

All good,

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom