Scubapro MK17 G250V - Should or shouldn't I? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Scubapro MK17 G250V - Should or shouldn't I?

Sponsored Link
timothy78
November 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
I am in the process of putting my complete dive system together. I have pretty much decided on purchasing Scubapro for my first and second stage and my alternate air source will be the same make and model as my primary / second stage. I will be purchasing the set up from my LDS and will lean heavily on what they suggest but I want input from as many of you that will chime in.

I have researched the different Scubapro regulators and in my opinion "with a grain of salt here people" the MK17 with 2 G250V's and appropriate sized hoses will pretty much let me dive any and everywhere I want (not interested in chipping a hole in the ice yet).

I am getting back into scuba now that I can truly afford it and over the next few years want to get into light tech diving (cavern / partial wreck entry) and want to have gear that will support that.

I would like to hear from you if you own this set up or if you were thinking of this one and went with a different set up. All are welcome to give your two cent.

Thanks in advance for replying because I know this question has been asked before.

Timothy

ajduplessis
November 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
I don't own the 17/250 setup, but I know from research that they perform very well. The MK17/G250 will be great. I would however order them in DIN format since you are looking to get into tech/cave diving activities. You might also want to look at the Apeks DS4 or Tek3 stages with XTX50 or 100 seconds. I love mine. I can also recommend MK25/S600. Enjoy your kit and diving adventures.

knowone
November 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Read about the difference between diaphragm and piston regs from sources independent of the manufacturers in regard to usability delivery maintenance and possible failure consequences.

Also the reg you choose for one purpose today may not be to your taste tomorrow.

ColinB
November 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
I have a Mk17 G250V setup, and I'm very happy with it. If I had it to do again, I'd probably get the same, unless my LDS became a HOG dealer, in which case I might look at a HOG setup, since I've seen many very positive reviews of them and my only complaint on the Scubapro stuff is that I'm not allowed to do any maintenance myself if I want to keep the warranty intact. The warranty and the proven track record of the Mk17 G250V are certainly pluses IMHO.
HTH,
Colin

LeadTurn_SD
November 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
The regs you've chosen are among many that would make you vary happy for years to come.

I think a more important decision is the choice of the regulator tech rather than any particular brand or model (within reason).

If you really like your LDS, and they are a Scubapro dealer, then you've made a great choice... if they sold Apeks, Aqualung, Mares, Zeagle, HOG, etc., you'd also be making a great choice... in other words there are lots of wonderful regulators to choose from!

Have fun with whatever you decide!

Best wishes.

knowone
November 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
You missed the bit about the heart going pitter patter.

I liken regs to a period house renovation.
You can do everything right but if you paint it beige and mission brown its all over.

timothy78
November 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
My LDS is a Scubapro dealer and I will be purchasing what ever I do end up getting from them as well as having them service it once a year to keep the warranty.

The advice about the getting the DIN and a conversion to Yoke is something I wondered about if I should do or not (I think now I definatley will).

Also, great advise to get references other than the manufactures website.

I'll be going to my LDS in a few days to talk to the technical instructor and see what his thoughts and suggestions are.

Keep it coming, that's why I posted here...

LeadTurn_SD
November 23rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Diaphragm 1st stages make my heart go "pitter patter" (there, I managed to work it in afterall, knowone :rofl3: ).

However, after recently rebuilding a Scubapro Mk5 (the "father" of many current balanced piston regs), I do see the allure of balanced pistons.... nice design, a bit easier to rebuild, elegant lines, nice performace....

I'm still married to balanced diaphragm 1sts perhaps, but balanced piston 1sts may now be my exciting "mistress" ;)

This rambling is intended to get you looking at all the alternatives.

If you dive warm or temperate water, a balanced piston design (Scubapro Mk25 / G250V for example) might also be worth a look.

No wrong choices for the most part.

If you are moving towards doubles and tech diving, looking into DIN vs yoke connections, which design allows more options for hose routing, and be sure that the 1sts and 2nds both accept "standard" hoses (so you can change hose lengths easily).

Best wishes.

Badbunny
November 23rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
The MK17/250V is a great setup, and will serve you well. As a PSD diver, we dive MK17's because the primary chamber is sealed, preventing contamination. In my personal diving, to include (very) deep as well as wreck I prefer the MK25's because the balanced piston flows better/smoother at depth. I am also a Scubapro Tec and when I went to class they showed us a clip where the attached over 100 2nd stages to a MK25, it supplied air with no problem until it finally froze after 10 minutes. Unless you really push the envelope, you will be happy with either set-up - each has its strong points but both will perform more than adequately in normal use. I do agree with the DIN comment - if you continue on with your dive education you will end up with DIN regs or conversions.

axyto
November 23rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Mk17/G250v set up is my reg of choice, i own a mares and aqualung but my favorite is scubapro. you cant go wrong with SP and since your local LDS carry that brand your in the right path.

WeldonDowd
November 23rd, 2010, 10:13 PM
You can convert it to DIN later when you start your tech route it you don't want to hastle the yoke conversion while your renting cylinders. But if your buying your tanks then go ahead with DIN.
And i'm just curious, does your lds stock the mk17 and g250v? Because the shop around me doesn't and when I asked about it they tried to push me into the 25 with the s600. They said they would order it but that was after a long and boring mk25/s600 pitch.

Bogie
November 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
I would definitely get a din.

The din to yoke adapters are easy and take seconds to install. I always cary one.

XS Scuba, Dive Rite, Mares, Zeagle, and Hollis are just a few.

halocline
November 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM
The MK17/G250V will work great. As far as DIN vs yoke, unless you are planning on using your own tanks with DIN fittings, get the yoke. In the U.S. and caribbean virtually all rental tanks and dive op tanks are yoke, and the DIN/yoke adapter puts the reg considerably closer to your head. This is especially annoying if you have a BP/W set up which holds the tank fairly high and close on your back.

Once you get into tech diving and doubles, believe me converting your regs to DIN (or just getting new regs for doubles) will be the LEAST of your gear expenses.

Many, probably most, divers who use doubles and single tanks have regs for each. In my case, my doubles regs are DIN and most of my single tank set ups are yoke.

Since you're interested in heading in the tech direction, I would also suggest you consider going for a BP/W style BC, but of course there are a zillion threads about that and we can only hope and pray that I didn't just start the zillionith and 1st.

timothy78
November 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Here's where I'm at with it now.

After researching some of the comments / suggestion that were made...
I am now leaning towards the MK25 with DIN to accompany the G250V and also purchase the DIN to Yoke adapter at the same time for when I don't use my own tanks. I'm planning on buying 2 HP100 steel cylinders with a pro type valve with the spin out adapter so that anyone can use my tanks.

To answer some questions:
1- I will be diving a Dive Rite BP/W set up that is almost complete now.

2- My LDS does stock all the current SP first and second stages.
I too was told I needed to purchase the S600 instead of the g250v at some of the shops I visited. I don't have anything against the S600 but I really like the g250v
(IMO the g250v is a work horse and it doesn't hurt that it's a bad @zz looking reg)

I will take a second here to "brag" about my LDS. A few weeks ago I hit all the LDS in my area. I was at each one for 30-45 minutes but knew within the first 3 minutes weather it was going to be "mine" or not. Once I made my choice I went the follow day to talk to them about their upcoming class schedule. I also went over some of the gear and they were actually talking me out of the more expensive stuff and selling me on the "mid" range equipment. They really impressed me with their sales attitude and willingness to stand behind their word on it. I guess I'm pretty lucky to have 4 LDS to choose from to call 1 of them mine.

Thanks to everyone for the great info.
I am very glad I joined SB. You guys are a fountain of knowledge!

I'm sure I'll be looking for some more opinions after I visit my LDS this weekend.

Timothy78

knowone
November 24th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I am also a Scubapro Tec and when I went to class they showed us a clip where the attached over 100 2nd stages to a MK25, it supplied air with no problem until it finally froze after 10 minutes.

Wow. The port swivel must have looked like a flying saucer.
You should tell flotsam.

Hey timothy 78 you could run a walking driving find a dive shop etiquette course.

G250v is very good.

Klaatu barada nikto.

halocline
November 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
In my personal diving, to include (very) deep as well as wreck I prefer the MK25's because the balanced piston flows better/smoother at depth. I am also a Scubapro Tec and when I went to class they showed us a clip where the attached over 100 2nd stages to a MK25, it supplied air with no problem until it finally froze after 10 minutes.

Since you are a 'Scubapro Tec' I'm a little surprised you don't seem to realize that the MK25 higher flow capacity has essentially zero significance in actual diving, regardless of the depth. Any 2nd stage and tank valve has much lower capacity than either the MK25 or the MK17, resulting in, guess what, identical flow capacity for the two 1st stages when used with a scuba tank and a 2nd stage.

Now, if you're planning on diving with an unlimited high pressure air source with far greater flow capability than a scuba tank, and sharing that air with 20 or so of your closest friends simultaneously at depth, then, sure, the MK25 has a big advantage.

Actually, the hose routing on the MK25 is different, and for some (myself included) that is a real-life advantage.

knowone
November 24th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hard to beat a fifth port out the bottom of the spaceship when it's flying on an angle.

halocline
November 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM
After researching some of the comments / suggestion that were made...
I am now leaning towards the MK25 with DIN to accompany the G250V and also purchase the DIN to Yoke adapter at the same time for when I don't use my own tanks. I'm planning on buying 2 HP100 steel cylinders with a pro type valve with the spin out adapter so that anyone can use my tanks......

1- I will be diving a Dive Rite BP/W set up that is almost complete now.

2- I too was told I needed to purchase the S600 instead of the g250v at some of the shops I visited.

I can almost guarantee you will not enjoy using the DIN/yoke adapter with your BP/W. But, live and learn, you can try it and when you get sick of banging your head into the reg, you can have the dive shop change the DIN for a yoke. Then eventually you'll get a DIN set for use with your tanks.

Lots of dive shops cling to the MK25/S600 set up as it's SP's top-of-the-line, except for the new A700. That's the only reason you heard that sales pitch; in reality, the G250V will work fantastic and if you ever go insane and decide to dive in extremely cold water, you'll have a reg that will handle the cold, especially with a sealed 1st stage.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the MK25; it's the latest of an extremely successful procession of SP balanced piston regs. One very nice thing about these regs is that they have superb IP stability over a large number of dives. The seats really last a long time.

LeadTurn_SD
November 24th, 2010, 08:40 PM
... I am also a Scubapro Tec and when I went to class they showed us a clip where the attached over 100 2nd stages to a MK25, it supplied air with no problem until it finally froze after 10 minutes.....

I shouldn't do this in a Scubapro thread, but can't help myself ;)

Mares did the same stunt nymber of years ago with 101 divers breathing from an Mr-22 diaphragm first stage, for 40 minutes... and no freeze up ;) It's posted on their website.

I'd bet the Mk17 could do it too.

So, a good diaphragm first stage will supply all the air your 2nd stage can handle with ease, plus a OOA diver or two ;) .

The rest is just marketing hype between the brands.

Best wishes.

mouthbreather1
November 25th, 2010, 01:43 AM
i own the g250 mk17 din and i love it great price great performance killer warranty and no issues with the din. you won't be disappointed

batman diver
November 25th, 2010, 03:27 AM
i was in a similar situation with reg choice a while ago :) a month , eventually went for the g250v mk25 , vs the mk 17 , purely for the house routing and i don't dive near ice , i think its a bad ass looking reg and breathes awesomely , just a note , its a little big :) but u don't really notice it , it also feels very solid ( metal knob ) etc .... u cant go wrong :) if u havn't bought it yet what are u waiting for

timothy78
December 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Had the chance to try out the different Scubapro first and second stages.
I tried: 1st Stages) MK11, 17 & 25 - 2nd Stages) S555, G250V, S600 & A700

I'm going to get the MK25 first stage in Yoke and either an A700 or S600 second stage with a G250V alternate second stage. Even though I won't be ice diving the A700 was by far the best breathing and smallest reg I tried.

I still like the look of the G250V the best but cannot get over the size difference from the other regulators.

Thanks for all the posts that you guys made that helped influence my decision.
Feel free to post any opinions and suggestions because I still have two weeks before I purchase anything. I will be purchasing the week before Christmas.

Thanks,
Timothy

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1