Lobsters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We all know that lobsters can only be taken commercially in NS & NB (and maybe PEI & NL). Yet divers and individuals can get recreational licences in Maine and Mass., to name 2 states. Anyone have insight as to why this has been the case for so long?

Hey TM Really don't know all the reasons, but each state has their own regs. Regulations are getting tougher though. In Mass we have a 15 lob dive limit also in gulf of maine no bugs over 4 to 5 lbs. I can't see divers or rec. pots really impacting the lob. pop. :idk:

I agree and I have spoken to lobster fisherman that really don't care if divers pick them up or not. I think the concern is local lobster prices would drop substantially if it was readily available by divers.

What you always seem to hear is that the lobster fishermen struck a real good deal with the govt. way back when. And the deal is in place to protect them and the industry as a whole. That's just what I hear anyway. I have trouble understanding why places in the U.S. don't have similar rules. I don't think you even need a permit to take those spiney lobsters in the Southeast states. You'd have to figure that there is a commercial lobstering industry in the U.S. also, which has to feed lobsters to 10 times our population--wouldn't they also be in trouble if lobsters could be taken recreationally?

Would be nice to be allowed even a token bag limit, 2 or 3 per diver maximum.... When you factor in cost of fuel compared to stopping at a roadside lobster salesman at $4-5 a pound its not as if youd be doing it for the money. Friends tell me in NJ they end nearly every diveday with a seafood cookoff on the beach and Im sure they have alot more divers and impact there....

But it is what it is.

My uncle years ago had some pots (traps) in N.Y. (Long Island Sound). As mentioned, I doubt a diver taking one or 2 occasionally would impact the lobstermen at all. I'd like to know the history of why that was declared illegal here (U.S. divers are puzzled when I tell them we can't touch lobsters- unless you are a native, of course). Very frustrating to see the boats check their traps maybe 50 feet from the beach at our house and I can't take even one when I see it diving there.

IIn my opinion you guys are getting totally screwed. Divers would not take anything from the lob pop. Especially the farther north you go the tougher the diving climate. All the CRAP you have to go thru in Mass. to get lobster and even in good areas so many factors have to jive. Wind, Tides/currents,vis water temps, boat traffic these can limit the catch. Even being very experienced and all factors being good a usual average is 5 to 6.

Finding them isnt the issue round here, given a big enough bag Im sure I could grab a dozen or more easily just shore diving various spots in St Margarets Bay. Its getting them out of the water without arousing the ire of the Mounties etc thats the problem.

Scallops on the other hand are the other way around, one of my dive buddies got a scallop tag for a few years, gave it up as he hasnt found enough to be worth the license fee yet.

Sorry had to cut my reply short.....To add ..After a short time you get to dislike the taste of lobster. Sounds wierd but almost across the board, divers that catch alot grow tired of eating them. But it is so fun we keep catching them. I know you can't scuba for lobs in maine. Seems big lobster industry will squelch the rec lobstermen

Sorry had to cut my reply short.....To add ..After a short time you get to dislike the taste of lobster. Sounds wierd but almost across the board, divers that catch alot grow tired of eating them. But it is so fun we keep catching them. I know you can't scuba for lobs in maine. Seems big lobster industry will squelch the rec lobstermen

I'm pretty sure that in Maine you can have a recreational pot or 2 with a permit. If that's true, it's odd that taking them on scuba would be illegal there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom