ScubaPro's new "D.I.R." system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Apparently ScubaPro has registered D.I.R. ... Wonder what Halcyon thinks about that ... :idk:

X-TEK PURE TEK (D.I.R.®) SYSTEM - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

I don't, personally, think anyone who's taken a real DIR class would buy one of these SP rigs ... there's way too many alternatives available that wouldn't require modification to conform to DIR standards.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Apparently ScubaPro has registered D.I.R. ... Wonder what Halcyon thinks about that ... :idk:

X-TEK PURE TEK (D.I.R.®) SYSTEM - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

I don't, personally, think anyone who's taken a real DIR class would buy one of these SP rigs ... there's way too many alternatives available that wouldn't require modification to conform to DIR standards.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe that is the real reason for Halcyon removing the term from their equipment...

P.S. Bob, the link is not english...

According to Bable Fish German to English translator - "D.I.R. is protected brand name of the Bts Europe AG "

Sounds like this organization (not Scuba Pro) has registered the "D.I.R." brand name in Europe.

BtS® is the premier ambassador of the DIR® (Doing it Right) philosophy in Europe.

Startpage: BtS Europa AG

Last edited:
How would SP manage to 'steal' and copyright the term 'DIR'???
Andy, I've spent many thousands of dollars convincing German Courts that just because a German company registers a copyright doesn't mean it owns it! I doubt anyone would contest the trademark in Germany but if it is an EU mark, perhaps -- and if they tried to register it in the US, I'm sure there would be objections regarding prior usage!

In any event, SP does not own the DIR logo, but was acknowledging the trademark on its web site.

But I will acknowledge that I know nothing about national vs EU laws, much less about copyright laws in this context.

From my understanding, the DIR trademark was held by GUE???

Does that mean they have switched 'alliegance' from Halcyon to Scubapro??

This could be a self-inflicted 'black eye' for Scubapro... as the 'ownership' of the DIR trademark is commonly known amongst the tech diving community. That's a relatively small, very well informed community. Should this be some commercial 'jumping on the bandwagon', then the target market for this SP equipment could become very hostile.

It's an ugly...uggllyy....uuuggglllyyy thing.

The wing looks an awful shape...what's with the 'horns'?

It looks very 'wide' for a single tank wing.

LPI is a danglesome nightmare.

1680 Den Nylon outer is far from the most robust on the market.

529GBP... heck, that's expensive for what it is.

ImageGen.aspx

I guess this is the time that the major manufacturers start to jump on the 'tech' bandwagon. I think it's a good thing that BP&W are becoming more popular amongst rec divers.... but something in me crys out with angst when I see the big companies ripping off the invention and pioneering of the 'little guys'.

Sounds liike this organization (not Scuba Pro) has registered the "D.I.R." brand name in Europe.

BtS® is the premier ambassador of the DIR® (Doing it Right) philosophy in Europe.

Startpage: BtS Europa AG

They are a dive shop that sells "DIR" equipment and they can tell ScubaPro what is and what isn't DIR about their gear?

Wow, I don't know too many discussions we've had here on SB about what is and isn't "DIR" where a consensus was reached about something's "DIR"-ness.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom