Dove Monastery 10/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Conditions:

2ft waves, easy entry, crawled out.
Vis: ~30ft

At first I thought my depth gauge was completely broken. Dropped down at the same spot that Andrew, Kristina, and I dropped down when we went, but this time depth was 25ft instead of 45ft... then I arrived at the place Claude and I saw a seal, and it was only 25ft when I could have sworn it was at 45ft or more. But looking up at the kelp and surface, I figured that the gauge was right.

Of course this meant what was once 100ft was now 80ft. Went down to max of 132ft, started getting narced at 100ft and was pretty narced at 130. Boulder hopping, has having a hard time slowing my breathing (wasn't breathing fast, just wasn't breathing slooooow, remember thinking that my inability to control breathing was something I'd need to work on at depth), heart was beating faster (something else to work on), but still was able to comprehend instruments and remember the readings. Vision was different... not as crisp. Checked gauges religiously. The shop filled my LP100 steel to 3440PSI so I still had 2400 when I was at 130ft, lol. It's weird seeing so much air and yet your computer is saying you've only got 8 minutes and the N2 loading graph is borderline in the deco zone. Sat on a boulder and stared out at the expanse for 2 minutes. Spent total of 5-6 minutes at 130ft.

I noticed a sunken... bouy? Or some sort of marker or sign at 100ft. I could not make it out. A decorator crab was hanging on its face but when I gently removed him off I still couldn't make out the words. Warning or Beware? Anyone know when I'm talking about? Cylindrical bottom with a flat square sign sticking vertically off of it.

Ascended slowly, did safety stop at 50ft, then one at 20ft.

Kelp area was getting really surgy and the sandy bottom was littered with dead and broken kelp and vegetation.

Overall a good dive. Great way to end my long Thanksgiving weekend.

There's a memorial around 90' or so. I'd bet that's what you saw.

Your risk tolerance is way higher than mine. I've been to 110' there with 100cf of air with similarly equipped buddies that I knew well and that felt very very close. I'm taking way more gas next time. Some of my friends have been past 150' at Monastery, but that just scares the crap right out of me.

Glad the vis is nice. I'm planning going there Wednesday.

Edit: LP100? Who makes that?

Dude dont attempt it alone again until you give me my light back !

Bah, I got the tank completely wrong. The whole 4 days I thought I was diving with a couple Low Pressure 100s, but it turns out they were a couple of Low Pressure 77s by XS Scuba.

Well, at 3440psi, that's 100cf :) That's a hell of a mistake to make though, on a 130' dive. I suppose your gas consumption is less than half of mine, or even better.

Yeah. I was really conservative with my pressure though. Crawled out of there with 1000psi left in the tank. 1 hour 4 minute dive, 50F temp.

Well, at 3440psi, that's 100cf :) That's a hell of a mistake to make though, on a 130' dive. I suppose your gas consumption is less than half of mine, or even better.

That blows my mind. I barely get that long out of a LP95 on a 40' dive. You really should get in contact with Scott/EnderW; I suspect your risk tolerances are similar.

I agree. I was like "I can NOT die right now because I still need to get Andrew's ligh back." :p

It worked great BTW... at 130ft it actually turned on by itself...

Dude dont attempt it alone again until you give me my light back !

Back
Top Bottom