Any restaurants around the Monterey or bay area that serve ling cod?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So everyone says ling cod is delicious, and I'd like to try it and see just how good it is.

Anyone know anyplace that serves lings?

I'm not a hunter, but I believe you can take finfish in the area around Butterfly House.

Lingcod has been one species where the recreational take has exceeded the commercial, at least in certain years. Not sure where it might be served in a restaurant as that would require sale by a commercial fisher.

Starting January of 2011, lingcod will be open year round. Just take a pole spear and a stringer with you and look under rocks.

I think the only way you'll get to taste Lingcod is if you go and get one yourself.
I think the commercial industry for Lings is pretty much shut down.

These guys have it nopalito: menus

There are few other restaurants here and there serving it - go to yelp.com and search for it.

I know you're asking for restaurants, but I've seen lingcod sold out of live tanks at Asian grocery stores in the Bay Area. 99 Ranch and Marina Market to be specific as well as a few places in Oakland Chinatown. I think they're trucked in from Washington because they occasionally will indicate where the fish comes from on their pricing display. Sometimes you can find cabezon sold live as well.

You may have to buy the whole fish when buying out of the live tanks and the lings I see are often big.

I'm guessing some Chinese restaurants may serve it if you go around looking through menus.

I don't know if they serve ling cod or not (but God, I love ling cod!) but Cannery Row Brewing Co. is a surprisingly good restaurant and alehouse, considering it's located in such a touristy spot. If you're beer fan like me, you'll be impressed by the selection (30 or 40 beers on draught, at least) and the food is really, really good. We ate there twice, a couple of weekends ago. Again, I was really surprised by this place. Finally, Monterey has a great place to get a beer. I highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom